Re: Women's Euro's

mad norm wrote: July 12th, 2022, 9:54 am My main fear is someone might simply say "Good performance that"
I doubt anyone, lest of all me, has any issues with appraising women’s football positively* and given the result it’d be impossible not to say England women played well last night (11/07/22). It’s more the authoritarianism of having to do so on pain of being branded a ‘misogynist’ which apart from being a complete misuse of the word ‘misogynist’ it [ironically] puts people off supporting women’s football as there is a stubborn streak in some/many people who think ‘why should I just because you say I HAVE to’…almost like saying someone who doesn't like Bollywood music is a racist rather than saying 'give it a try'

*That said do think the patronising super positive stance from the media doesn’t help - even the players have said they want harsher criticisms and the 'didn’t she do well' [in cases where she clearly didn’t] annoys them [the players themselves]

Fantastic performance from the Lionesses and good to watch. That’s what sport as a form of entertainment should be about.

Two other observations - Norwegian coaching extremely naive not to have changed the defensive shape sooner. Plus the referee was awful - got all the major decisions wrong incl. the penalty, the trip on the Norwegian striker towards the end and the petulant kick out by an England midfielder in the second half.

Good Evening

I agree with you regarding the referee, the danger is the officials in womens football are not improving at the same pace as the elite teams. In an earlier match, VAR overturned a red card, to me it seems they are a little inexperienced and having to deal with the same high level of technology as the mens game.
We have women refs in male matches now so will we see any male refs in this tournament? That would be equality!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: July 12th, 2022, 7:07 pm Good Evening,

Fair enough then, do you think the VAR operator is maybe inexperienced with the situation?

Phil in Northampton
In the France v Italy game, it was the (English) ref who overturned her own decision and withdrew the red card and gave a yellow. Can only be that she thought the Italian captain was reckless rather than dangerous, maybe based on the speed which the French winger went past her.

But I stand by my view - it was a stomach-high challenge and nowhere near the ball. A definite red card and ban.

Yesterday I attended the Sweden v Switzerland game. It is a little over 10 years since I was last involved with the women's game. The rate of progress is glacial. I really think the powers that be need to take a longer term strategic view at improving the game for the next generation of players rather than concentrating so much of the effort (money) at the current elite level.

I’m rather intrigued by the animal names used for these teams. England are apparently the Lionesses, presumably after their badge. With the absence of such a reason for animal nomenclature eg dragons for Wales, what should other teams use as nicknames? Will the French be cockerels or hens i wonder? With no such visual aid to help the process, will the Russians be the bears and Iceland, the arctic foxes? Answers on a postcard.

I sat through over half an hour of the Denmark vs Finland game. It was awful. Virtually unwatchable. However, if the women want to play, that’s fine, just don’t compare to the men’s game. Which brings me on to my main point. At one stage the commentator said ‘player such & such is about to pass Jari Litmanen’s record for caps for Finland.’ No she isn’t. She has zero caps for the men’s team as she’s not eligible as it’s a different sport. And the BBC couldn’t wait to reveal its woke agenda. Instead of being happy that England stuffed Norway 8-0, all they were interested in was the lack of diversity in the England team. It’s just possible the best players were picked & none of them were of colour. The BBC seem to forget Rachel Yankey, Hope Powell & Alex Scott, who actually works for them. Hey, but why spoil a good story with the facts?

Same thing happened in one of England's warm up matches, actually it may have been a World Cup qualifying match. Afterwards they interviewed the England striker, who had scored three, and asked her, "how do you feel now that you are closing in on Wayne Rooney's goal scoring record?" Utterly ridiculous.

Dogger wrote: July 17th, 2022, 7:57 pm I sat through over half an hour of the Denmark vs Finland game. It was awful. Virtually unwatchable. However, if the women want to play, that’s fine, just don’t compare to the men’s game. Which brings me on to my main point. At one stage the commentator said ‘player such & such is about to pass Jari Litmanen’s record for caps for Finland.’ No she isn’t. She has zero caps for the men’s team as she’s not eligible as it’s a different sport. And the BBC couldn’t wait to reveal its woke agenda. Instead of being happy that England stuffed Norway 8-0, all they were interested in was the lack of diversity in the England team. It’s just possible the best players were picked & none of them were of colour. The BBC seem to forget Rachel Yankey, Hope Powell & Alex Scott, who actually works for them. Hey, but why spoil a good story with the facts?
Totally agree with the BBC and their woke agenda, especially the pre match and half time preambles.
It's not just the women's football the BBC is equally woke on all other sport they cover (including sports news).
Just comment on the game, ie good pass, bad foul, dominating the right flank etc. (In fairness in think the female commentator Jo Currie does a good job and avoids being too woke and commentates on the game, as it should be, unlike the half time pundits).
I've got to the stage now that I turn the volume off and just watch the game and put the volume on if there is a reffing issue or similar incident that might need clarifying, and I turn over at half time so as not to listen tosh comments like she's only 23 and so brave to take a penalty, and I am certainly not interested in their love lives/partners.
Pity there isn't an option on the remote control for crowd only volume with no commentary.