Re: Match thread - friendly at Torquay 16th July

Well, it was a practice match. We were very disjointed. Demetriou showed how good a player he is, Wildig also seemed to know what he was doing. I'm guessing that the main plan for today was to step up from 45 minute shifts to force everyone into a 90 minute workout and the only one who didn't was Bogle. Don't suppose referees get assessed in this sort of match, good thing for the one we had today.

UPTHEPORT wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:11 pm It's a training session
You keep repeating that, at what point UTP do you think that they should be fit enough to start playing like a football team?

In only 13 days time we start to play in earnest, so if we are not close to full fitness now then we never will be. If you were there yesterday then you will possibly agree that the ‘collective’ were poor, and what makes it worse is that against half decent opposition we don’t look convincing in front of goal.
That was effectively our first choice team, so let’s hope they put in a better and more convincing performance against FGR. All Rowberry’s signings are on two year contracts so this is the hand that has been dealt, let’s hope for the better and not the worse.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 17th, 2022, 5:44 am
You keep repeating that, at what point UTP do you think that they should be fit enough to start playing like a football team?

I keep repeating it because posters on here are knicker wetting it's call pre season for a reason

I'll start judging results when there's points at steak not training sessions

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: July 16th, 2022, 4:49 pm Game fizzling out, not an entertaining 0-0. Highlights are a solid County defence and nice touches by Wildig
Yes the defence was solid! i liked what i seen from Drysdale and Adam Lewis and Micky was ...well micky, norman did ok in a much further advanced roll, but the midfield leaves a lot to be desired along with huge gaps for the opposition to stroll into, and our strikers are not worth a mention apart from the one shot from bogle that the keeper palmed onto the top of the bar, joe Day did ok he made one very good save in the second half but i still think townsend should be first choice, just my opinion after spending 2 hours sat in a very hot Plainmoor in amongst all the Torquay fans.
Last edited by llanwern exile on July 17th, 2022, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPTHEPORT wrote: July 17th, 2022, 10:27 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 17th, 2022, 5:44 am

I keep repeating it because posters on here are knicker wetting it's call pre season for a reason

I'll start judging results when there's points at steak not training sessions
Fair enough, but as a matter of interest did you go to yesterday’s training session, if so what did you think of the footballing skills on show?