Re: Match thread - friendly at Torquay 16th July

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 17th, 2022, 11:25 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: July 17th, 2022, 10:27 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: July 17th, 2022, 5:44 am
UPTHEPORT wrote: July 16th, 2022, 11:11 pm It's a training session
You keep repeating that, at what point UTP do you think that they should be fit enough to start playing like a football team?

I keep repeating it because posters on here are knicker wetting it's call pre season for a reason

I'll start judging results when there's points at steak not training sessions
Fair enough, but as a matter of interest did you go to yesterday’s training session, if so what did you think of the footballing skills on show?
Don't go to them IMO they should be behind closed doors

I'd have the FL trophy group stage this time of year allow 5-7 subs Clubs would get better attendance and teams playing more competitive games

llanwern exile wrote: July 17th, 2022, 11:19 am
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: July 16th, 2022, 4:49 pm Game fizzling out, not an entertaining 0-0. Highlights are a solid County defence and nice touches by Wildig
Yes the defence was solid! i liked what i seen from Drysdale and Adam Lewis and Micky was ...well micky, norman did ok in a much further advanced roll, but the midfield leaves a lot to be desired along with huge gaps for the opposition to stroll into, and our strikers are not worth a mention ha apart from the one shot from bogle that the keeper palmed onto the top of the bar, joe Day did ok he made one very good save in the second half but i still think townsend should be first choice, just my opinion after spending 2 hours sat in a very hot Plainmoor in amongst all the Torquay fans.
Oh dear, plus ça change!

Reflecting on yesterday’s game, I suppose we should’ve expected it but it was a poor game for the paying public to watch. Clearly was treated as a low-key event by both teams and the officials. Several obvious yellow card fouls, mainly from Torquay but twice from us went unpunished*. Linesman on the Poppleside flank absolutely guessed an offside decision - he was 8-10 yards away from the last defender and flagged by instinct when the home fans called for it.

As has been mentioned, both defences were on top. Strikers from both teams had little to work with, it reminded me of MF hoot all tactics when we had Jamma, no one able to run into any knockdowns.

We tried to play the ball out from the back once or twice, even from a short Day goal kick, but after a few short passes then lumped it long. Mickey was good and looked fit and powerful, midfield was powder-puff though and Azaz is looking like a big miss.

Surprised we only used one sub in the sweltering heat, the game also lacked a Plan B from both sides. Torquay won’t get bullied in the NL but need a proven goal scorer, while I can see us scoring infrequently this season.

Good support from County fans and a lot of them stayed over and were enjoying the pubs last night.

* Edit - my mistake, one booking for each team according to the local paper.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on July 17th, 2022, 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wasn't there, DeePee, so it's not for me to disagree with any of what you said, and it was an interesting and helpful analysis. But one thought on this:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote: July 17th, 2022, 3:04 pm Mickey was good and looked fit and powerful, midfield was powder-puff though and Azaz is looking like a big miss.
We shouldn't forget that Azaz (and Cooper, and Cain) took a few months to play their way into form at the start of last season. By Christmas, they looked world-beating, but their appearances in the friendlies and early-season games were decidedly inconsistent. So it may prove to be for some of yesterday's starters, with Bowen being a prime example given that this might be his first real taste of regular men's football.

I don't doubt you're right in saying that they'll need to be stronger physically and up their game technically to thrive in Div 4 - but I'm sure we'd all acknowledge that it is unlikely to be an overnight process.