Re: The lease

Bangitintrnet wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:29 pm
pembsexile wrote: August 13th, 2022, 11:41 am It’s pretty obvious that if ground sharing is to be the preferred option for a club, then good stadium/pitch management is essential. We had a problem and it got resolved. Coventry now have that problem. Swansea apparently have never had that problem. Sound management and financial capability is required.
Exactly, Coventry signed a lease with the 50% Council owned Ricoch for 10 years, but took the piss on paying their rent. The Stadium had control of the income from tickets, and that caused the despute.

Wasps purchased the ground but don't have the income to fund repayment of the purchase, let alone invest in a new pitch.

Thankfully we have a new pitch and no lease, which IMHO is perfect.
We don't have a lease we have a license. You believe that to be perfect. This is why I think you are wrong.

There are two main differences between a license and a lease. They being a lease has security of tenure and a lease gives the right of exclusion.

The security of tenure issue has been discussed frequently. The view that you hold, amongst others is that security of tenure doesn't matter because Rodney Parade is not viable without Newport County. My view in contrast is that I don't think that is the case, and even if it is, it might not be the case in the future.

With respect to right of exclusion, if the WRU wanted to let Rodney Parade out for a concert or other sporting event, we can't stop them. Further all the profits go to the WRU. Finally even at our games not only do we pay rent, we have to hand over half the profits from the bar.

We don't have a new pitch. We are, for now, allowed to play on a new pitch which belongs to someone else.

Security makes you tied to something, even if it doesn't suit in later years. We don't require security, what we require is a good relationship with the owner.

We require a suitable pitch not the Rugby, who hardly play at RP. The investment is over a number of years, and needs to be repaid. It is pointless paying out large sums on things that you don't require, only to kick out the team that is making use of them, and therefore paying back the cost.

We don't need to own anything, that's how clubs go bust. See Swindon, see Wasps. In contrast Coventry City own nothing and are in no danger of going bust.

The WRU have good knowledge of using stadia for uses other than Sport and knowledge of the costs involved.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: August 13th, 2022, 1:45 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: August 13th, 2022, 12:29 pm
pembsexile wrote: August 13th, 2022, 11:41 am It’s pretty obvious that if ground sharing is to be the preferred option for a club, then good stadium/pitch management is essential. We had a problem and it got resolved. Coventry now have that problem. Swansea apparently have never had that problem. Sound management and financial capability is required.
Exactly, Coventry signed a lease with the 50% Council owned Ricoch for 10 years, but took the piss on paying their rent. The Stadium had control of the income from tickets, and that caused the despute.

Wasps purchased the ground but don't have the income to fund repayment of the purchase, let alone invest in a new pitch.

Thankfully we have a new pitch and no lease, which IMHO is perfect.
We don't have a lease we have a license. You believe that to be perfect. This is why I think you are wrong.

There are two main differences between a license and a lease. They being a lease has security of tenure and a lease gives the right of exclusion.

The security of tenure issue has been discussed frequently. The view that you hold, amongst others is that security of tenure doesn't matter because Rodney Parade is not viable without Newport County. My view in contrast is that I don't think that is the case, and even if it is, it might not be the case in the future.

With respect to right of exclusion, if the WRU wanted to let Rodney Parade out for a concert or other sporting event, we can't stop them. Further all the profits go to the WRU. Finally even at our games not only do we pay rent, we have to hand over half the profits from the bar.

We don't have a new pitch. We are, for now, allowed to play on a new pitch which belongs to someone else.
Afternoon Brendan. Just to be clear, I was referring to a situation that clubs find themselves in, i.e. circumstances dictate that they have to share a pitch. It is not an ideal situation and I am not aware that it happened too much in the past. I certainly have not heard of ‘pitch issues’ in the past such that we have heard of over the past several years.

My view hasn’t changed - we would be in a better situation if we owned the ground. How we achieve that has been discussed numerous times on here over the years and we are no nearer a suitable answer. Pity.

Hi Mike,

In fairness to Bangitinthenet his view is coherent. As things stand there is no alternative to the license we have at Rodney Parade. For me there's a simple choice. Either start working now to develop a home of our own, be it by ourselves or by making common cause with the Dragons or hoping the situation we have now remains constant for ever.
I favour the former, Bangitinthenet favours the latter. Bangitinthenet is convinced that the latter situation will always apply. One of us is wrong.

flat4 wrote: August 13th, 2022, 2:45 pm If the WRU or any new owners of Rodney Parade were to choose to 'evict us' what do you suggest we do?

Simple, go play somewhere else????????
They have absolutely no reason to do they?

It's a bit like pretending that you don't have to work at living together because you have a marriage licence.

However what we do have is flexibility which is important. County have played home matches at Cardiff for instance.
Flexibility is key when you don't know if you will have 3 million, 1 million or just parachute money at the end of the season. Newport County are not Arsenal, we don't know with certainty which level, and what finances will be available next season, let alone 10 years time.

The only security you can have in reality is the flexibility to pay for what you require, not keep paying for something that you hope to require.

Bangitintrnet wrote: August 13th, 2022, 3:06 pm
flat4 wrote: August 13th, 2022, 2:45 pm If the WRU or any new owners of Rodney Parade were to choose to 'evict us' what do you suggest we do?

It's a bit like pretending that you don't have to work at living together because you have a marriage licence.

However what we do have is flexibility which is important. County have played home matches at Cardiff for instance.
Flexibility is key when you don't know if you will have 3 million, 1 million or just parachute money at the end of the season. Newport County are not Arsenal, we don't know with certainty which level, and what finances will be available next season, let alone 10 years time.

The only security you can have in reality is the flexibility to pay for what you require, not keep paying for something that you hope to require.
That's all very well but you are ignoring the question. If for whatever reason Rodney Parade is not available, and I can envisage any number of reasons why that might happen, what do you suggest we do?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:07 pm

That's all very well but you are ignoring the question. If for whatever reason Rodney Parade is not available, and I can envisage any number of reasons why that might happen, what do you suggest we do?
Why is it that you have to invent problems that don't exist. I know you hate the fact that companies can have a great working relationship, but they do.

Effectively lease, licence, part ownership, whatever, if the bank locks you out, your out...........
It really does not matter that you have a very expensive piece of meaningless paper.

Bangitintrnet wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Why is it that you have to invent problems that don't exist. I know you hate the fact that companies can have a great working relationship, but they do.

Effectively lease, licence, part ownership, whatever, if the bank locks you out, your out...........
It really does not matter that you have a very expensive piece of meaningless paper.
Again.

If for any reason Rodney Parade becomes unavailable what do you suggest we do?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:56 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: August 13th, 2022, 4:14 pm

Again.

If for any reason Rodney Parade becomes unavailable what do you suggest we do?
Again and again and again, play elseware, it's really not the issue that you like to make out. It's what everyone does, we did it the last time that Rodney Parade was unavailable last year FFS

Now remind me how is it that you are proposing to ensure security on the basis of a piece of paper?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: August 13th, 2022, 5:18 pm Again.
If Rodney Parade were to become unavailable what would be your solution?
We played 2 league games at Cardiff in 2021, you have your answer. Coventry played at Burton Albion earlier this week.

Taking an interest in a ground where as a football club we have no idea what facilities will be necessary next season, is simply a waste of time.
The football league no longer require a ten year lease.