Re: Grandstand. County v Walsall

I don't know what game some people were watching, but not the same one as me. We had far more of the game, looked very lively and had several shots blocked by a very savvy defence. Add to that a team of new faces still in the early days of gelling but losing by one unlucky goal. - what are people expecting?

Flynn got a decent welcome from the tunnel end of the terrace, but what was very prevalent yesterday was the anti English bollocks from a sizable number of fuckwits 'supporting' a team made up largely of English players.

I've though for some time that we seem to have a disproportionate number of fuckwits and yesterday confirmed it for me.

'Stones thrown' ? I think MF mis-remembers the terrace behind the dugouts as some sort of shale mountain!? In terms of the abuse. I heard it, it wasn't good and seemed to be one guy who took it too far. What I will say is that there was a lot of frustrated fans where I stood who were taking their frustrations out on MF and Hatswell as well as their players and the ref.

I think MF needs to develop a thicker skin. I don't agree with it first and foremost, I think it crosses a fine line but I don't think you can stamp it out. I've been there when Derek Adams has been called a Pedo for 90 mins for example and he didn't even acknowledge it once either at the time or in his post game presser.

As for banning the person. How would you do that? I like to stand in at least 2 different places across the whole terrace for example and a lot of people do the same so how would you identify the person? Was it a banning offence to shout moronic abuse about MF's wife? It's unsavoury but it's not racist (assuming she isn't non-white?) or phobic in any way.

I would ban the culprit for offensive abuse as described.

I did not see any stones thrown but I saw a plastic bottle land on the roof of the away dugout where Flynn was stood. It spilt liquid on the roof and bounced off onto the ground. My impression was that it was thrown from the front rows of the Compeed stand.

Whitewashing these incidents won't help. We have to face up to the fact that they are happening and deal with the problem.

I thought that after the first fifteen minutes we weren't troubled by a very mediocre team. However, as others have said, if we don't shoot goalwards we won't score many. I thought Walsall's anti-football approach was quite dreadful, six yellow cards, and there should have been two before the referee brandished the first. What was very noticeable was that the referee (and it's a growing trend) is no longer in charge of when the game is stopped. In the last fifteen minutes, every clearance by a Walsall defender was accompanied by a player hitting the deck with 'an injury'. Strangely their trainer was rarely, perhaps never, called on to treat the player. The ref however constantly stopped the game. Hence my thought that it was the players in effect stopping play. These weren't head injuries. I'd like to see the game continue, players would soon recover. Head injuries should require a mandatory off field assessment, not a trip to the touchline and almost immediate return to action.

UPTHEPORT wrote: August 7th, 2022, 5:56 pm
Percy plunkett wrote: August 7th, 2022, 5:39 pm So,we’ve just opened the area behind the dugouts after a few years and,first game,there is a problem.If they only had a brain,it seemed mostly young fans in that area when I walked past.
Apparently the bottle was from the stand
That is the impression I got from watching the bottle's trajectory from the crowd. It almost cleared the dugout hut roof but fell a few inches short thank God. Otherwise it might have landed on someone in the technical area and then we would have been in real trouble.

The bottle was unusual. It was flat and square, like a hip flask but a bit larger and either bright blue or green in colour. The top was unscrewed and a small amount of liquid was coming out, showing that it was almost empty.

Interesting YouTube vid from Taff who does the Amber Army socials and stands with a lot of the yute. He said they chased off a d-head who was throwing stuff and was stood close to the one dipstick who was giving the wife-related abuse and had never seen him before. That reminds me of when we played the Gas at RP last season. There were loads of coked-up eejits I'd never seen before who were seemingly just there for trouble of any sort. Sadly when you have an open terrace I don't think there;s a lot you can do about it without sanitising the atmosphere for sensible fans who want to stand.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:00 am Interesting YouTube vid from Taff who does the Amber Army socials and stands with a lot of the yute. He said they chased off a d-head who was throwing stuff and was stood close to the one dipstick who was giving the wife-related abuse and had never seen him before. That reminds me of when we played the Gas at RP last season. There were loads of coked-up eejits I'd never seen before who were seemingly just there for trouble of any sort. Sadly when you have an open terrace I don't think there;s a lot you can do about it without sanitising the atmosphere for sensible fans who want to stand.
It’s a shame that he did not draw these people to the attention of the authorities so that they could have been dealt with appropriately. As it stands they can still return to RP.

/quote]

It’s a shame that he did not draw these people to the attention of the authorities so that they could have been dealt with appropriately. As it stands they can still return to RP.
[/quote]

Yes, exactly. A few supporters seemingly saw an individual and possibly one incident and decided to deal with the alleged culprit themselves, rather than report it to the stewards. I’m sure their action was well-intended but it will now hamper the club’s internal investigation unless the identity of the culprits can be confirmed via CCTV and is known to local police.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:31 am
Chepstow'sFine wrote: August 8th, 2022, 10:00 am Interesting YouTube vid from Taff who does the Amber Army socials and stands with a lot of the yute. He said they chased off a d-head who was throwing stuff and was stood close to the one dipstick who was giving the wife-related abuse and had never seen him before. That reminds me of when we played the Gas at RP last season. There were loads of coked-up eejits I'd never seen before who were seemingly just there for trouble of any sort. Sadly when you have an open terrace I don't think there;s a lot you can do about it without sanitising the atmosphere for sensible fans who want to stand.
If you watch the video he clearly says that his group challenged the fan and ‘sent him packing’. He even apologised. Fans are not Policemen/women. You mention the authorities, I presume you mean the Stewards. If there was one place in the ground that the Stewards should have been watching, this was it. If there is an investigation, I would ask the stewards what they saw.