Patience needed

There's been a lot of talk over the years about developing young players or getting players from the League of Wales or whatever they calling it now who we believe can make the step up to the football league.

To this end in Waite and Evans I believe we have 2 players who more than fit that bill and who will develop into big players for us. The other side of this is sending players the other way for development in what is now a very good standard of football which is what we have done with Twamley and Woodwiss.

Add Bowen, Bright, Adam Lewis and Chimba to this then we really do need to give them time to settle and develop let's not forget neither Azaz or Cooper hit their strides until October onwards last season, plus we've also got a few more experienced lads settling into the club/area and that will also take time.

We can't have it both ways we either look longterm and develop talent alongside our experienced players or we play the Cup run lottery and hope we get a big club.

Clubs of the season in league 2 last year Bristol Rovers and Mansfield, they had really bad starts but stuck with the plan, Rovers made it to league 1 and Mansfield made the playoff final.

Re: Patience needed

Yep we can definitely learn a lot from Exeter and how they've developed players over the seasons.

I'll add them to the list of clubs who benefitted from showing patience last season and sticking to the plan.

The jump shippers have gone early this season no surprise there....

Exile1964 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:28 pm Yes way too soon to panic just yet. I hate to remind everyone Walsall is now six successive home defeats. Is Mr Rowberry the new Anthony Hudson? I hope not as we all hope not.
Well we all hope not but I’m struggling to see the sense of trying to change a player we signed because of his goalscoring abilities into a wing back when we had one ready made! I’m not criticising Evans because he’s done well but couldn’t we use him better?

Exile1964 wrote: August 7th, 2022, 3:28 pm Yes way too soon to panic just yet. I hate to remind everyone Walsall is now six successive home defeats. Is Mr Rowberry the new Anthony Hudson? I hope not as we all hope not.
Maybe he wants to beat the late Bobby Ferguson’s record of seven home defeats in a row in that awful 1970 season.That would look good on his cv,it’s all part of the process.

Definitely not the new Antony Hudson because the way he started proved he can manage in fact after Swindon we all thought we were nail on for playoffs minimum.

I'm fully aware that good coaches don't always make good managers and always reference Brian Kidd and Sammy Lee as examples of this, fantastic coaches as proved by the coaching jobs they've filled since falling short at Blackburn and Bolton respectively, so as I say because of Jr's first 6 months he definitely can manage I'm in no doubt of that.

As for playing Evans left wing back he did well in both games so far, that doesn't mean he'll always play there.

Let's be honest we should have a minimum of 4 points, possibly 6 and we're only going to get better once we settle everyone in.

There is a knack to goal scoring. Telford has it. But it is a rare commodity. As Evans has a good scoring record and Zanzala is floundering despite the effort he is putting in, it would be a good idea to try Evans up front. I think I'm right in saying that we have two other players both named Lewis that can play in Evans current position. Tuesday's match at Luton is an opportunity to try something different without risking losing more league points.

Percy plunkett wrote: August 7th, 2022, 5:27 pm
Maybe he wants to beat the late Bobby Ferguson’s record of seven home defeats in a row in that awful 1970 season.That would look good on his cv,it’s all part of the process.
I don't see the point in adding up wins or losses between two entirely different seasons.

G Guest wrote: August 7th, 2022, 8:40 pm There is a knack to goal scoring. Telford has it. But it is a rare commodity. As Evans has a good scoring record and Zanzala is floundering despite the effort he is putting in, it would be a good idea to try Evans up front. I think I'm right in saying that we have two other players both named Lewis that can play in Evans current position. Tuesday's match at Luton is an opportunity to try something different without risking losing more league points.
Agree, Luton reserves are good enough to outclass us anyway so if we need to try something different… and we do, then now’s the opportunity .

Bangitintrnet wrote: August 7th, 2022, 10:32 pm
I don't see the point in adding up wins or losses between two entirely different seasons.
I do as it’s called momentum. We have started this season as we ended last, the only difference being that this is 100% Rowberry’s team. For all the technical claptrap that he constantly trots out, his collective needs to start delivering very soon before a dangerous points gap starts to materialise.

Bangitintrnet wrote: August 7th, 2022, 10:32 pm
Me neither, last season bares no consequence on this one