Re: Tories in the mire

Chepstow'sFine wrote: October 14th, 2022, 4:49 pm Must be time for a GE surely but even then I'm not convinced Labour would do any better. Bring in proportional representation for any chance of proper democracy.
I agree about PR.

Mind you being over in the UK you have one great advantage over us in Ireland. At least your closest neighbour isn't a complete f@cking lunatic. :shock:

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:30 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: October 14th, 2022, 4:49 pm Must be time for a GE surely but even then I'm not convinced Labour would do any better. Bring in proportional representation for any chance of proper democracy.
I agree about PR.

Mind you being over in the UK you have one great advantage over us in Ireland. At least your closest neighbour isn't a complete f@cking lunatic. :shock:
Haha. We have Chairman Drakeford himself, hellbent on point-scoring against Westminster no matter the cost!

Chepstow'sFine wrote: October 15th, 2022, 1:34 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 14th, 2022, 6:30 pm
I agree about PR.

Haha. We have Chairman Drakeford himself, hellbent on point-scoring against Westminster no matter the cost!
Think you'll find that Truss started the point-scoring in this particular match.

pembsexile wrote: October 16th, 2022, 8:11 am He has only been in post for 48 hours or so and the new Chancellor is already savaging Trussonomics. Surely even they can see that it is time for a general election.
And risk losing their seats. I doubt it. Self-preservation is a strong motivator.
What a sad indictment it is of the political ignorance and naivety of the tory membership who voted Truss in.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: October 16th, 2022, 8:37 am
pembsexile wrote: October 16th, 2022, 8:11 am He has only been in post for 48 hours or so and the new Chancellor is already savaging Trussonomics. Surely even they can see that it is time for a general election.
And risk losing their seats. I doubt it. Self-preservation is a strong motivator.
What a sad indictment it is of the political ignorance and naivety of the tory membership who voted Truss in.
Therein lies the Tory dilemma. Self preservation is what concerns them. In their deluded state they are currently saying that Truss has to go and be replaced by………

I think it is a distinct possibility that it will happen. Hopefully it will. If it happens though they will be savaged by the country. They will have no credibility at all. The third PM in as many months possibly. The only way they can save any small iota of credibility they have is for Truss to call a general election.

Liz Truss stated yesterday that she puts the national interest above everything. Listen to your own words Lizzy and do the honourable thing.

When Truss was hot favourite to become PM I was quite pleased. "She'll destroy the Tories and that'll be the end of them for a generation" I assumed.

I hadn't bargained on her setting them on such a steep trajectory that they'd discuss ousting her within a couple of months.

Damn.