Re: Complaining about BOD & Sporting Director

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:48 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 12:53 am

I must admit that I find it very strange that Colin Jones who is clearly a very successful Australian businessman is treated as some kind of leper on this forum by those who are trumpeting someone that they don't actually know.
I have known Colin for over 50 years. He has a problem with me and in my view has his own issues. That said I have no doubt that his love of Newport County is genuine. He is quoted as having said that he will leave his estate to Newport County. I have no reason to doubt this.

He is not figuratively a leper, and for you to suggest that I or anyone else has ever suggested he should be treated as such is simply untrue. Less importantly but equally untrue is your assertion that anyone is trumpeting Mr Pratt. If you read the views expressed on this thread, what is being said is that the club should listen to him or anyone else who offers input into our club.

Re-read the post where I write exactly what I would do. Having done that please stop being deceitful.

You are damaging Newport County.
How can you possibly know for sure that they haven't considered what he has to offer? It doesn't mean the club has to except every offer is in the clubs interests does it?
You can go on shouting "what have the club got to lose" for as long as you like, same as with your begging letter. I assume you contacted the club before deciding what was in their best interests did you? Or did someone who lives in another country, doesn't watch the games, has no commitment of any kind, know better than the director's what's in the best interests of the club going forward?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 19th, 2022, 8:50 am
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: October 19th, 2022, 8:15 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 19th, 2022, 7:49 am
lowandhard wrote: October 18th, 2022, 10:58 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 18th, 2022, 10:48 pm
lowandhard wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:50 pm
Baladabadi wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:05 pm I think this is the new potential investor, looks legit, so let's hope this has legs.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonathan-pratt-a9165487
Exactly, some on here would be happy back in the Dr Martins
Where on earth do you get that from?

The vast majority of us are investors in Newport County. None of us expect that investment back.
I am very weary of the word investment as it implies not only a return of capital but also a bit of profit as well.
Now if Mr Pratt was saying he has so much money that he doesn't require some and is willing to invest in let's say 10 flats in Newport, let the County have the rent, and he keep the flats and any increase in their value, then why can't he say so? However that still wouldn't amout to the sum the trust give the board. So why is it that whatever investment he wants to make is such a secret?
The Wrexham owners were upfront with the documentary series providing the funds, which is fine as long as the series is on.
Yes, yes most of us have invested in the club, nothing new there. What we are talking about here is a future-changing event if many millions are involved. Look, I don’t know that’s rhe case but why not find out? Wrexham fans didn’t doubt and those alleged actors came up with the goods, why not a self-confessed County Supporter. Why is that not worth investigating?
Les Scadding won 35 million.
His involvement in Newport County AFAIK was in the region of 1.2 million over 3 years. Roughly 3% of the interest on his win. It was a gift not an investment.

Why call something an investment if it is a gift? It's not life changing if you have to pay it back. It's called a loan, like the ones that your bank offer you.

If it is a gift, why not just give it, like Les Scadding did? Les Scadding wasn't, and never did claim to be a fan, he just wanted to give something back to the town in which he became rich. If Les can manage to turn up to hospitality and start the ball rolling, why on earth is it so difficult for a fan?

If it is a take over bid then look at what replaces the 100k a year that we as owners stump up, as well as not just handing over 2 million pounds a year to someone who might not pay the wages and other expenditure. IMHO a serious bid for a business would be in the region of 3 years worth of income in order to guarantee a similar amount of expenditure over that period. I have no idea what the board of Newport County think is a suitable amount, however I very much doubt that each and everyone of them would prefer pass on the commitment that they have to the club in favour of their own personal betterment.

I must admit that I find it very strange that Colin Jones who is clearly a very successful Australian businessman is treated as some kind of leper on this forum by those who are trumpeting someone that they don't actually know.
Two things, firstly Les Scadding wanted £300k back and we are repaying him at £30k pa, secondly you should know what the Board think is a suitable amount as at one of their infrequent meetings they quoted a ridiculous sum of £5m. This was said at the time of the hybrid discussion, and if they hold to that amount then it will be an insurmountable barrier to any outside interests. Perhaps that is what it is designed to do, who knows.

Like Les if I was to put a sizeable sum into the Club I would want to be Chairman and also bring about some changes at Board level, could that be the real problem do you think?
Just a reminder in relation to your last sentence. that anyone wanting to put money into the club would need the backing of the majority of the current majority share holders (78% I believe) i.e. the trust membership. Unless it were a total takeover, and an abandonment of the 'fan owned' club would not that 'investor' also require the membership to elect him/her onto the board in the first instance, let alone declare themselves as Chairperson.
Not Chairman, but I don’t recall voting for Mark Crook, actually I don’t recall getting a vote for the position of Chairman of the Football Club either. Nothing necessarily wrong in any of that, but it shows that where there is a will there is a way, my concern is a growing impression that there is no real desire to seek outside money and influence.
I'm sure we both know that Mark Crook is a co-opted member. What I failed to take into consideration is could a co-opted member of the Trust board be appointed to chairman/women/person of the Football club board by the elected Members, or do they have to be one of the elected members? Would be happy to hear from anyone who knows, as currently academic as it is.
Of greater importance is of course is the concern that there is no desire to seek money and it's associated influence.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 1:08 pm

I have known Colin for over 50 years. He has a problem with me and in my view has his own issues. That said I have no doubt that his love of Newport County is genuine. He is quoted as having said that he will leave his estate to Newport County. I have no reason to doubt this.

He is not figuratively a leper, and for you to suggest that I or anyone else has ever suggested he should be treated as such is simply untrue. Less importantly but equally untrue is your assertion that anyone is trumpeting Mr Pratt. If you read the views expressed on this thread, what is being said is that the club should listen to him or anyone else who offers input into our club.

Re-read the post where I write exactly what I would do. Having done that please stop being deceitful.

How can you possibly know for sure that they haven't considered what he has to offer? It doesn't mean the club has to except every offer is in the clubs interests does it?
You can go on shouting "what have the club got to lose" for as long as you like, same as with your begging letter. I assume you contacted the club before deciding what was in their best interests did you? Or did someone who lives in another country, doesn't watch the games, has no commitment of any kind, know better than the director's what's in the best interests of the club going forward?
I don't know for sure 'they haven't considered what he has to offer'.

So please stop making things up.

Then I don't know for sure that they have consideted.

What I do know is that it is claimed that Mr Pratt wrote to the club and that the club did not reply. On what I have read I think this is a likely scenario. In any event we only ever get told what the club wish to tell us. And if the club choose to be opaque then they invite speculation.

You really should think before you write. It does no good for our club that the board of director's chief defender on this board continually lies, talks drivel and calls anyone so bold as to ask questions a 'total tw@t'.

You are damaging our club. Please stop.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 19th, 2022, 1:49 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 1:08 pm

I don't know for sure 'they haven't considered what he has to offer'.

So please stop making things up.

Then I don't know for sure that they have consideted.

What I do know is that it is claimed that Mr Pratt wrote to the club and that the club did not reply. On what I have read I think this is a likely scenario. In any event we only ever get told what the club wish to tell us. And if the club choose to be opaque then they invite speculation.

You really should think before you write. It does no good for our club that the board of director's chief defender on this board continually lies, talks drivel and calls anyone so bold as to ask questions a 'total tw@t'.

You are damaging our club. Please stop.

So on the basis of your own speculation, I am damaging the club. Just like your business accumen extends to the self proclaimed apitome of small business...........
When you have some facts why not put them forward.

pembsexile wrote: October 19th, 2022, 8:44 am
Baladabadi wrote: October 18th, 2022, 9:05 pm I think this is the new potential investor, looks legit, so let's hope this has legs.

The vast majority of us are investors in Newport County. None of us expect that investment back.
I am very weary of the word investment as it implies not only a return of capital but also a bit of profit as well.
Now if Mr Pratt was saying he has so much money that he doesn't require some and is willing to invest in let's say 10 flats in Newport, let the County have the rent, and he keep the flats and any increase in their value, then why can't he say so? However that still wouldn't amout to the sum the trust give the board. So why is it that whatever investment he wants to make is such a secret?
The Wrexham owners were upfront with the documentary series providing the funds, which is fine as long as the series is on.
Yes, yes most of us have invested in the club, nothing new there. What we are talking about here is a future-changing event if many millions are involved. Look, I don’t know that’s rhe case but why not find out? Wrexham fans didn’t doubt and those alleged actors came up with the goods, why not a self-confessed County Supporter. Why is that not worth investigating?
I have no idea as to the credentials of the potential investor. Only what I have read on here. I also have no idea as to how he made his play to the club. My concern is this: Why would he want to invest in the club? We have (apparently) no assets. He wouldn’t get a return.

That said, if he wants to help the club I see no problem at all in having a look at what he is offering. As OC has mentioned, we are a majority Supporters Trust owned club. He may be better off doing his pitch there. I don’t do Faceache so perhaps someone who is in contact with him could advise him.

He could start off by becoming a Trust member if he isn’t already. That would give him the contacts.
Like you I haven’t seen his references and don’t know how rich he is, I have no connection to him.
Why would he give money to the club? You should know the answer to that Pembs as like me I think you contract to give half the money to the club if we win the lottery with the Uptheport syndicate. It’s pure love of our football club.
I am not a rich man but if I was ridiculously rich past the needs of my family and personal desires then I would do two things 1) set up a local charity that would continue after my demise to help poor of Newport in some aspect 2) I’d also try to buy Newport County and put it on a secure footing.
It’d be nothing to do with business for me, I’d leave the details to the financial wizards ( though they’d face scrutiny of course ) It’d be a labour of love to take my club up the leagues.
I’m simply extending my dream to allow for the fact that there may be others who think like me and are not out for a quick buck.
The approach should be given a chance.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:50 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 9:32 am

His involvement in Newport County AFAIK was in the region of 1.2 million over 3 years. Roughly 3% of the interest on his win. It was a gift not an investment.

Why call something an investment if it is a gift? It's not life changing if you have to pay it back. It's called a loan, like the ones that your bank offer you.

If it is a gift, why not just give it, like Les Scadding did? Les Scadding wasn't, and never did claim to be a fan, he just wanted to give something back to the town in which he became rich. If Les can manage to turn up to hospitality and start the ball rolling, why on earth is it so difficult for a fan?

If it is a take over bid then look at what replaces the 100k a year that we as owners stump up, as well as not just handing over 2 million pounds a year to someone who might not pay the wages and other expenditure. IMHO a serious bid for a business would be in the region of 3 years worth of income in order to guarantee a similar amount of expenditure over that period. I have no idea what the board of Newport County think is a suitable amount, however I very much doubt that each and everyone of them would prefer pass on the commitment that they have to the club in favour of their own personal betterment.

Two things, firstly Les Scadding wanted £300k back and we are repaying him at £30k pa, secondly you should know what the Board think is a suitable amount as at one of their infrequent meetings they quoted a ridiculous sum of £5m. This was said at the time of the hybrid discussion, and if they hold to that amount then it will be an insurmountable barrier to any outside interests. Perhaps that is what it is designed to do, who knows.

Like Les if I was to put a sizeable sum into the Club I would want to be Chairman and also bring about some changes at Board level, could that be the real problem do you think?
IMO the £30k a year thing is a relatively small sum to a club with a £2m income, however it gave the trust time to establish the club and fight off those that fancied taking over without the real finance to be able to do so. That remains a problem, as the more financially secure the club is the more attractive it becomes to take over. Now I accept that there are those that prefer absolutely anyone rather than the current board, but in my opinion it requires a lot of commitment as well as money to run a football club successfully, and have a float to cover for problems. If you look at what the club started with when Les left, it is difficult to make a case that the club has been mismanaged financially since.
IMHO I don't see that a sum 3 times the annual income is a ridiculous amount bearing in mind that that money will be replaced by income. If you were to offer to buy any successful business, to put in a winning bid, I would suggest it would be a minimum starting bid. Why should we as a trust undervalue the club, simply to alow someone to buy it on the cheap, with no commitment to the future?
5 times pre tax profit is always a good indicator of value, turnover is purely vanity and as is often said, profit is sanity and cash is reality. Your complete negativity towards even encouraging outside interest is surprising, an attitude that may well make you suited to Board membership!
5 times pre tax profit of a football club? I think you need to revisit that particular valuation method.
I have no wish to be involved with the board, but respect and am grateful for the difficult work that they do. I also understand that investment rarely comes without payback.

The Conservatives sold all the UK nationalised industries and raised £60 billion for the exchequer from individual investers. They are now funding £45 billion of energy profits, to ultimately be paid for by the tax payer.

lowandhard wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:33 pm
pembsexile wrote: October 19th, 2022, 8:44 am

I have no idea as to the credentials of the potential investor. Only what I have read on here. I also have no idea as to how he made his play to the club. My concern is this: Why would he want to invest in the club? We have (apparently) no assets. He wouldn’t get a return.

That said, if he wants to help the club I see no problem at all in having a look at what he is offering. As OC has mentioned, we are a majority Supporters Trust owned club. He may be better off doing his pitch there. I don’t do Faceache so perhaps someone who is in contact with him could advise him.

He could start off by becoming a Trust member if he isn’t already. That would give him the contacts.
Like you I haven’t seen his references and don’t know how rich he is, I have no connection to him.
Why would he give money to the club? You should know the answer to that Pembs as like me I think you contract to give half the money to the club if we win the lottery with the Uptheport syndicate. It’s pure love of our football club.
I am not a rich man but if I was ridiculously rich past the needs of my family and personal desires then I would do two things 1) set up a local charity that would continue after my demise to help poor of Newport in some aspect 2) I’d also try to buy Newport County and put it on a secure footing.
It’d be nothing to do with business for me, I’d leave the details to the financial wizards ( though they’d face scrutiny of course ) It’d be a labour of love to take my club up the leagues.
I’m simply extending my dream to allow for the fact that there may be others who think like me and are not out for a quick buck.
The approach should be given a chance.
Agreed mate, he should be listened to. I just hope he is not a business venturer and seeking a return. Hopefully, like you and me (and lots of others) he has a genuine love of the club.

If I was insanely rich (massive lottery winner perhaps), there is no way I would buy the County or any other football club. I would sneak in below the radar and buy RP from the WRU. Make them an offer they couldn’t refuse. I would then rent it out to the Dragons and County for the astronomical yearly fee of £1.00 in perpetuity.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 2:36 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:50 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 9:32 am

IMO the £30k a year thing is a relatively small sum to a club with a £2m income, however it gave the trust time to establish the club and fight off those that fancied taking over without the real finance to be able to do so. That remains a problem, as the more financially secure the club is the more attractive it becomes to take over. Now I accept that there are those that prefer absolutely anyone rather than the current board, but in my opinion it requires a lot of commitment as well as money to run a football club successfully, and have a float to cover for problems. If you look at what the club started with when Les left, it is difficult to make a case that the club has been mismanaged financially since.
IMHO I don't see that a sum 3 times the annual income is a ridiculous amount bearing in mind that that money will be replaced by income. If you were to offer to buy any successful business, to put in a winning bid, I would suggest it would be a minimum starting bid. Why should we as a trust undervalue the club, simply to alow someone to buy it on the cheap, with no commitment to the future?
5 times pre tax profit is always a good indicator of value, turnover is purely vanity and as is often said, profit is sanity and cash is reality. Your complete negativity towards even encouraging outside interest is surprising, an attitude that may well make you suited to Board membership!
5 times pre tax profit of a football club? I think you need to revisit that particular valuation method.
I have no wish to be involved with the board, but respect and am grateful for the difficult work that they do. I also understand that investment rarely comes without payback.

The Conservatives sold all the UK nationalised industries and raised £60 billion for the exchequer from individual investers. They are now funding £45 billion of energy profits, to ultimately be paid for by the tax payer.
On reflection you are right, 5 times for a football club is way too generous!

Bangitinthnet wrote... How can you possibly know for sure that they haven't considered what he has to offer? It doesn't mean the club has to except every offer is in the clubs interests does it?
[/quote]
How can they possibly know what he has to offer when they couldn't even be arsed to acknowledge his letter sent 4 months ago following the correct procedure until he went on Facebook? It would be interesting to know if all board members knew of his approach or just a select few! But I have a feeling you already know the answer to that.

Trigger wrote: October 19th, 2022, 5:08 pm Bangitinthnet wrote... How can you possibly know for sure that they haven't considered what he has to offer? It doesn't mean the club has to except every offer is in the clubs interests does it?
How can they possibly know what he has to offer when they couldn't even be arsed to acknowledge his letter sent 4 months ago following the correct procedure until he went on Facebook? It would be interesting to know if all board members knew of his approach or just a select few! But I have a feeling you already know the answer to that.
[/quote]

Why would I know?

Personally I would turn up at hospitality if I wanted contact, and to show some commitment by flying over rather than a letter. Depends whether you want something to happen or prefer to make a point of it not happening I suppose.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 19th, 2022, 6:04 pm
Trigger wrote: October 19th, 2022, 5:08 pm Bangitinthnet wrote... How can you possibly know for sure that they haven't considered what he has to offer? It doesn't mean the club has to except every offer is in the clubs interests does it?
Why would I know?

Personally I would turn up at hospitality if I wanted contact, and to show some commitment by flying over rather than a letter. Depends whether you want something to happen or prefer to make a point of it not happening I suppose.
[/quote]

Well you seem to know everything about everything when it suits you

Trigger wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:58 pm
Why would I know?

[/quote]

It's a forum, for expressing your view about everything.
How is that if I express a view different to someone else on a forum it is damaging to the club?

John Pratt has apparently written a letter, and is getting upset. A forum contributor wrote a letter and got upset. There is a pattern here of people who write letters and expectation.

There is also a pattern of anxiety fuelled need overriding facts. We need a lease, we need to own the ground, we need a bigger more modern ground, we need someone else to pay, we need our own training ground, we need buses to bring fans to the ground, we need infrastructure, we need to stop the ground being developed for housing. We need investment to do all of these things or we will be playing in the Beazer Homes League. The club are stopping investment so that they can ignore all of the things that I have decided are vital can't happen.

Justanordinaryfan wrote: October 20th, 2022, 9:33 am Haven’t a clue about the ins/outs about this …. But if your seriously thinking of investing serious amounts of ££ into anything, would you really send a letter ?? … a letter ??? Seriously in this age of technology… a letter … hope it was first class !
Precisely, why rent a box for a game and discuss any proposal with directors, person to person, when you can write a letter?

Trigger wrote: October 19th, 2022, 11:58 pm
Why would I know?

[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth? 😂😂😂