Re: Mark Drakeford travelling to Qatar for World Cup

Exile 1976 wrote: October 23rd, 2022, 5:47 pm Yes he should.
Think by travelling he leaves himself open to howls of hypocrisy and being a 'baller' (although can’t see Drakey puffing on a Cuban cigar and chucking dollar bills everywhere whilst drinking champagne in a Qatari ex pat nightclub!) and it is 'problematic' in the context of his/Labour’s supposed stance on equality and a middle finger up to those in Wales struggling and more so those fans who have scrimped and saved to travel and Welsh taxpayers who are funding his ‘jolly’ – remember he’s NOT a ‘head of state’ as Wales as a state does not exist.

For me he should NOT go unless specifically invited to a 'big' knockout game and I just can’t see us getting out of that group with our squad (can see USA surprising a few people).

Exile 1976 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:37 pm He’s the main man for Wales and him being over there and representing Wales the country & the Welsh people is the right thing.
Oh aye, let’s just the the UK gov to represent Wales :roll:
USA qualifying from this group shouldn’t be a surprise as they’re the second highest ranked team in the group.
Does he even like football? I mean if he had been a massive advocate for it fair enough but he did football down at Christmas around Covid (and bottled it with the rugby - a sport which I like so no bitterness there from me but it was undeniably farcical political grandstanding)...as far as a representative goes don’t think UK/Wales should be sending anyone - as I’ve said before this is at best an anomalous/bizarre and at worst disgraceful sham of a world cup that for all sorts of reasons should never have gone to Qatar.

I can’t say I’m that principled I won’t watch on TV as like Drakey I’m a hypocrite but tbh just can’t get excited about this world cup, Wales are poor and were absolutely spineless in the Euro’s and not great in qualification - nothing I’ve seen suggests we will progress in Qatar (and yes I am a Wales fan) it’s the wrong time of year and its being hosted in a country not geared up to ‘welcome the world’ in any way.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: October 24th, 2022, 4:51 pm I'm just so sad that Wales didn't qualify for a World Cup which wasn't so contentious. This isn't vitue signaling, at least I hope not, and everyone is free to make up their own minds. However with 4,000 poorly paid and utterly exploited migrant workers dead, I won't be watching.
Neither will I

It's a total hypocritical farce ever since Qatar was amazingly chosen

Far, far more should be made of the exploitation of those workers and their families grief.
The whole ghastly event is a sad reflection of sport today

There are many reasons why Qatar should not have been chosen, but it was & we have to get on with it now. The last time Wales qualified, I wasn’t even born, so I certainly will be watching. As for Mr Charisma-bypass going, I personally can’t stand the guy, but if every other nation that’s qualified has a politician/head of state representing, why shouldn’t Wales. With Bale & Ramsey close to retiring, it may be another 64 years before we qualify again.

Exile 1976 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 4:45 pm Absolutely spineless in the euro’s? We’re a small nation that punches above its weight (as per Euro 2916) .
If we don’t get far in the World Cup ? So be it, we’ll give it a go and see where we end up. Regardless of where we finish, for me, Just as long as Wales as a country & the Welsh as people is pushed further into the minds of others , great !!
Bit harsh of me - going on the Denmark game (albeit the Danes were boosted by the spirit behind the whole Ericsson thing) we were awful - I think the issues with Wales past was being not confident enough this time around we think we are far better than we are.

As for promoting Wales Mr Burns is not the best candidate - he lacks charisma, charm and bless him just looks odd (politicians shouldn't be judged on that but they are) we would do well to leave the promotion of Wales to any number of other people, foods, etc. Drakey will not be the man to promote investment in or tourism to Wales.

CathedralCounty wrote: October 24th, 2022, 2:55 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: October 24th, 2022, 1:37 pm He’s the main man for Wales and him being over there and representing Wales the country & the Welsh people is the right thing.
USA qualifying from this group shouldn’t be a surprise as they’re the second highest ranked team in the group.
Does he even like football? I mean if he had been a massive advocate for it fair enough but he did football down at Christmas around Covid (and bottled it with the rugby - a sport which I like so no bitterness there from me but it was undeniably farcical political grandstanding)...as far as a representative goes don’t think UK/Wales should be sending anyone - as I’ve said before this is at best an anomalous/bizarre and at worst disgraceful sham of a world cup that for all sorts of reasons should never have gone to Qatar.

I can’t say I’m that principled I won’t watch on TV as like Drakey I’m a hypocrite but tbh just can’t get excited about this world cup, Wales are poor and were absolutely spineless in the Euro’s and not great in qualification - nothing I’ve seen suggests we will progress in Qatar (and yes I am a Wales fan) it’s the wrong time of year and its being hosted in a country not geared up to ‘welcome the world’ in any way.

England decided to go into lock down late, and come out early, due to the economy. The UK is bottom of the G7 countries in recovering economic performance from the start of the pandamic.

That worked well then.

In contrast Wales used policies to slow down infections as the best method of recovery.

As far as representing Wales in Qatar, I am unconvinced leaving that to Rishi Sunak /Conservative Party, is likely to have the desired outcome.

Bangitintrnet wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:39 am

England decided to go into lock down late, and come out early, due to the economy. The UK is bottom of the G7 countries in recovering economic performance from the start of the pandamic.

That worked well then.

In contrast Wales used policies to slow down infections as the best method of recovery.

As far as representing Wales in Qatar, I am unconvinced leaving that to Rishi Sunak /Conservative Party, is likely to have the desired outcome.
Erm Wales had one of if not the most draconian and ill-judged restrictions in Europe (and yet conversely sent very vulnerable elderly people to their deaths in care homes – FACT a close relative worked in one during covid) and STILL had among the worst outcomes - I'm no little Englander (I'm Welsh) but Wales did not cover themselves in glory health nor economy wise around covid albeit no country did…and as I’ve said I don’t l think ANYONE should be going to the world cup.

CathedralCounty wrote: October 26th, 2022, 12:09 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: October 25th, 2022, 11:39 am

That worked well then.

Erm Wales had one of if not the most draconian and ill-judged restrictions in Europe (and yet conversely sent very vulnerable elderly people to their deaths in care homes – FACT a close relative worked in one during covid) and STILL had among the worst outcomes - I'm no little Englander (I'm Welsh) but Wales did not cover themselves in glory health nor economy wise around covid albeit no country did…and as I’ve said I don’t l think ANYONE should be going to the world cup.
Sending infected patients back to care homes was a decision made in London, there were no resources made available to do anything else. That decision had to be reluctantly followed by all the devolved nations.
My 93 year mother caught covid in Hospital 2 months after she had a fall. She was transferred to a covid ward where we weren't allowed to visit. When recovered, she had to have 3 clear tests before being transferred back to her care home that avoided patient infection, but had staff off infected.
That was what the restrictions were there for, to restrict infection in places where people gathered in order that carers going from patient to patient, and from family to patient were not the source of infection.
Once in a care home the residents were unable to leave their rooms, so infection patient to patient was less likely than from carers and family visits.