Re: T20 world cup

Exile 1976 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 8:37 am
excessbee wrote: November 13th, 2022, 8:34 pm Isn't it still the England and Wales Cricket Board?
That’s just the Board. The team is England, not England and Wales
Disagree somewhat with that. Whilst of course the team has only ever been called England, if any Welsh player is deemed good enough he qualifies to be selected to represent England ( as many have been over the years.) in the same way as an English player. Therefore the 'England' team represents the perceived current best of English and Welsh cricketers.

Exile 1976 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 12:41 pm The only reason Welsh players can play is because Wales does not have a recognised International team.
When they pull on their 3 lions cricket whites the side they are representing are England.

Appreciate the England Wales cricket board but can't quite see it's logic.

I'm sure Wales could put forward a decent cricket team and the sooner it happens the better.

mad norm wrote: November 14th, 2022, 1:11 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: November 14th, 2022, 12:41 pm The only reason Welsh players can play is because Wales does not have a recognised International team.
When they pull on their 3 lions cricket whites the side they are representing are England.

Appreciate the England Wales cricket board but can't quite see it's logic.

I'm sure Wales could put forward a decent cricket team and the sooner it happens the better.
I'm sure it's all about the money as usual. The idea of a Welsh cricket team has been discussed many times over the years. Cricket in Wales in heavily subsidized by the England Wales cricket board, and for it to have it's own team they would have to set up an independent board which would have to be recognised by the ICC as a viable concern. That's highly unlikely.
Therefore Welsh players deemed good enough to play international cricket are eligible to be selected to play for and represent the ICC recognised board of England and Wales.

I’m a ‘Welsh cricket lover’ and I know that if I watch England play I’m watching England play, not England and Wales.

By the way, when was the last time you saw it written or mentioned as the EWCB and not the ECB ? Their website is still the ECB, maybe the W is silent

Exile 1976 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:27 pm I’m a ‘Welsh cricket lover’ and I know that if I watch England play I’m watching England play, not England and Wales.

By the way, when was the last time you saw it written or mentioned as the EWCB and not the ECB ? Their website is still the ECB, maybe the W is silent
It seems to me that when you watch England play cricket you believeyou are watching England. When I watch England play I know I'm watching the best players available/selected from England and Wales, even if there are no Welsh players selected. In theory that would be the case if no English players were selected.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:17 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 3:27 pm I’m a ‘Welsh cricket lover’ and I know that if I watch England play I’m watching England play, not England and Wales.

It seems to me that when you watch England play cricket you believeyou are watching England. When I watch England play I know I'm watching the best players available/selected from England and Wales, even if there are no Welsh players selected. In theory that would be the case if no English players were selected.

No. I KNOW I’m watching England play, and if there’s a Welsh player playing then I KNOW I’m watching him play for England.
That’s not having a go at England, in fact I like watching them play, but there’s absolutely nothing that represents ‘Wales’ for that international side regardless if a Welshman plays or not.

Exile 1976 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 4:26 pm

No. I KNOW I’m watching England play, and if there’s a Welsh player playing then I KNOW I’m watching him play for England.
That’s not having a go at England, in fact I like watching them play, but there’s absolutely nothing that represents ‘Wales’ for that international side regardless if a Welshman plays or not.
My opinion is your opinion is illogical and irrational.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 15th, 2022, 5:01 pm

Yes, so illogical and irrational to believe that a team that plays Internationally solely under the name of England, with the three lions on their shirt, making absolutely no mention of Wales) , represents England. Silly me.

Exile 1976 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:27 pm

Yes, so illogical and irrational to believe that a team that plays Internationally solely under the name of England, with the three lions on their shirt, making absolutely no mention of Wales) , represents England. Silly me.
We agree then.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:35 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: November 15th, 2022, 6:27 pm

We agree then.

Aye, you keep thinking that.

Interesting, this. Any cricketer that is selected to play for England ultimately does so under the umbrella of the ECB. This is the official name for the England and Wales Cricket Board, not the English Cricket Board, there is no such thing. The initials ECB instead of EWCB were chosen by the members, majority English, when the TCCB and other cricket groups merged in the late 90’s.

My opinion fwiw, Scotland and Ireland have full cricket status, so it’s probably about time that we did too. Probably historical, economic and social factors as to why we don’t. Also know that in Pembs, cricket is huge in the summer.

pembsexile wrote: November 15th, 2022, 8:18 pm Interesting, this. Any cricketer that is selected to play for England ultimately does so under the umbrella of the ECB. This is the official name for the England and Wales Cricket Board, not the English Cricket Board, there is no such thing. The initials ECB instead of EWCB were chosen by the members, majority English, when the TCCB and other cricket groups merged in the late 90’s.

My opinion fwiw, Scotland and Ireland have full cricket status, so it’s probably about time that we did too. Probably historical, economic and social factors as to why we don’t. Also know that in Pembs, cricket is huge in the summer.
Agree in principle with the idea of a welsh cricket team and remember an unofficial odi game(s) between England and Wales teams some years ago. Suspect that there is little call for it amongst Welsh players who get to County standard, usually but not exclusively Glamorgan, as they aspire to play for England because of the kudos involved. Have no idea how Scotland and Ireland fund their sides, but imagine substantial sponsorships are involved.