David Hando

This very sad news has just been posted on the club Website:-
Everyone involved with Newport County AFC is saddened to learn of the death of club president David Hando BEM following a period of illness at the age of 84.

As all Exiles supporters will know, David was one of the key figures in the reform of the club in 1989 as Newport AFC.

He was chairman of the reformed club for the first nine years of its existence and was inducted into the club’s Hall of Fame in 2015, the same year he was awarded the British Empire Medal for his services to football and the wider Newport community.

David continued to follow his beloved County home and away until recent weeks, and to run the Subscription Draw – a valuable source of income to the club.

A former teacher, David was a Newport councillor for many years representing the Liberal Democrats.

When County won promotion back to the Football League in 2013 after 25 years, David reacted famously with just two words: ‘Mission accomplished.’

The club’s thoughts and prayers are with David’s widow Mary and his family.

The club will be issuing a full tribute to David tomorrow

Re: David Hando

Well David there are really no words! I first knew you when I was an apprentice at the club and then later when I had the total privilege of captaining your beloved Newport AFC. A club that without your drive, tenacity and sheer bloody fighting spirit we would not have had. You never forgot the people who supported you and when I retired and came as a supporter you still had so much time for me like others and I will never forget you. You had a way of getting everyone and anyone to support all kinds of money making schemes as you devoted your entire life to the club. Through the good times and the bad you were there a true leader with such positivity no one was going to beat you or destroy your beloved club. I am so pleased that you got to see the club achieve your dream with a return to the football league. You were a legend in your lifetime David and we are all extremely grateful for the way that you gave your all for the football club that we know and love today, if only we could bottle your spirit! #RIP #legend

I can only echo Mark’s tribute to David.It was a privilege to work with David in those AFC years and a true leader and gentleman he certainly was.He played a massive role in this club and its formation,his enthusiasm to keep going was a strength to everyone who knew him.The fact that this club exists is due to his great knowledge and ability to inspire many to follow the dream of returning a team from Newport to the Football League.

Our supporters will forever remember David as Mr Newport Newport County AFC! We shall never forget his dynamic contribution in ensuring the survival of our club and we will always be indebted to him. RIP David. You will forever be in our hearts.

Newport County AFC Supporters Club

What more can be said. One of the best. No Hando - No AFC - No County. A driving force for the club in its darkest of times. So pleased he saw us back into the league and the trips to Wembley. Always had time for you, a friendly wave, a smile and chat. Very sad news and condolences to his family. Thank you David for all you did for our club, a true Newport Legend.

I’m so glad he got to see our Newport County returning to the football league that glorious day at Wembley and so many special occasions after that. No less than he deserved for all he did for our club which is such a huge part of the community. God bless you David.

So sad to read about David’s passing and my thoughts and condolences go to his family and loved ones.

With out David we wouldn’t have the club we have today without his drive,determination and affection for the county.

Football with a future.

R.I.P David