Re: David Hando

It was a privilege to know David and to witness the drive and determination that, coupled with an unwavering belief, led to the acheivement of a return of league football to Newport. A true gentleman in every respect. My thoughts to Mary and his family.

I'm actually gutted at this - I've been through a rough patch anyway but this sort of puts things in perspective - the man was a true gent and I remember shaking his hand at Wembley (the 2nd time we go there and beat Wrexham) and thanking him - in recent years he has been forgotten a little but he SAVED the club. Also, in the true sense of the expression, an upstanding local citizen who was active in politics and in the transporter bridge committee.

I'll never forget his interview/rant on radio 5 after our promotion - a legend in the true sense!

RIP 'Sir' Hando.

markvickery wrote: January 17th, 2023, 8:00 am RIP David
Never will forget seeing his smiling face coming out of the high courts in London when we ended our Exile
So much for County fans to thank for
I remember him saying to us that he didn't want any demonstrations in the court before we were allowed in for the verdict. He already knew the verdict because the judge had told the contesting parties in chambers, but I was too dull to realise that his warning meant that we had won.

He was a true achiever. He always fascinated me with his determination and unfailing curtesy extended to the lesser men of the FAW. He defeated them through sheer determination, the power of his arguments and his unfailing belief that we were right and they were wrong.

God bless you David. We owe you so much.

I was on the coach of supporters that travelled up to the high court. it is a day you never will forget, but i cant get his love and happiness for the County out of my head. his courteous nature dealing with the FAW and steely determination was vital. He was the glue that kept belief there were better times ahead.

So........To the Trust....How do you intend to commemorate Mr Hando?
A statue would be nice but over the top maybe,and as we haven't got a permanent base so not in Rodney Parade.
I think a 3D portrait on a plaque would be a good idea and site it on a building in central Newport that visitors will see and has some historical interest as well
I think this would be a fitting tribute to the man.
I would happily contribute to a fund and suggest the Trust look to commission this as a priority.

mad norm wrote: January 19th, 2023, 11:48 am So........To the Trust....How do you intend to commemorate Mr Hando?
A statue would be nice but over the top maybe,and as we haven't got a permanent base so not in Rodney Parade.
I think a 3D portrait on a plaque would be a good idea and site it on a building in central Newport that visitors will see and has some historical interest as well
I think this would be a fitting tribute to the man.
I would happily contribute to a fund and suggest the Trust look to commission this as a priority.
How about, they name the new Transporter Bridge visitors centre that they are currently building, after Mr Hando.
Last edited by ghosty on January 19th, 2023, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.