Re: Transfer deadline day - Tuesday 11pm

I don't know how decent any of these January signings are going to be but Baker, Charley and McNeill certainly seem to be signings with plenty of promise. Kavanagh seems to be a case of getting that second striker in whomever it may be but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Have County strengthened every area? I think so and if nothing else it lifts the cloud a little from the County squad...

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:45 pm Flynny trying to get the FGR band back together! Matty Stevens is a quality player and too good to be sat on the bench for the Vegans.

Did we try to sign any of them ? ( I think we ALL know the answer to that...) Both scored lots of goals last season, so are proven at our level...…Matt even lives in the area

MF only went for him ( Stevens) because he couldn't sign his first choice... (Johnson from Mansfield)

neilcork68 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:20 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 1st, 2023, 1:45 pm Flynny trying to get the FGR band back together! Matty Stevens is a quality player and too good to be sat on the bench for the Vegans.

Did we try to sign any of them ? ( I think we ALL know the answer to that...) Both scored lots of goals last season, so are proven at our level...…Matt even lives in the area

MF only went for him ( Stevens) because he couldn't sign his first choice... (Johnson from Mansfield)
I wouldn't want Matt back. He had one good season for County. I wouldn't bet against Stevens being similar. There were better attacking options available IMHO.

But I'm not surprised, Flynn wasn't known for his recruitment. How many of his Walsall signings are with his Agent?

wattsville_boy wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:27 pm

I wouldn't want Matt back. He had one good season for County. I wouldn't bet against Stevens being similar. There were better attacking options available IMHO.

But I'm not surprised, Flynn wasn't known for his recruitment. How many of his Walsall signings are with his Agent?

We are Newport County...we have a limited amount of players willing to play for us because they don't want to relocate to Newport. especially when we are involved in a relegation battle ..We have players living in Newport...Not just Matt ...that we don't even try to sign or never have tried to sign who play for other clubs near our current level who are willing to travel to other clubs..why dont we try for them ?

Which striker have we got at the club with a better scoring record at League 2 who is better than Matt ??
Given our one dimensional attacking threat of MD's long throw ins we need a Matt type player because The ones we have dont win the ball when its launched in do they ?
either that or GC needs to change our tactics to use the players we have better than we currently do

neilcork68 wrote: February 1st, 2023, 2:39 pm

Which striker have we got at the club with a better scoring record at League 2 who is better than Matt ??
Given our one dimensional attacking threat of MD's long throw ins we need a Matt type player because The ones we have dont win the ball when its launched in do they ?
either that or GC needs to change our tactics to use the players we have better than we currently do
I'd have Jamma back plus the fact Flynn's paired him up with Stevens is exciting for Saddlers fans. I'm sure we probably did get offered them but we can't compete on the wages. Both players have downsides and can be streaky. I'm pretty pleased with our improved striking options. I think we've done the best we could.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:10 pm

I'd have Jamma back plus the fact Flynn's paired him up with Stevens is exciting for Saddlers fans. I'm sure we probably did get offered them but we can't compete on the wages. Both players have downsides and can be streaky. I'm pretty pleased with our improved striking options. I think we've done the best we could.
Strongly suspect your last sentence sums it up. Does any poster on this site honestly know (not guess) who we tried to sign, only to be outbid or the player declining to join this club? Whether we done the best we could of the options available to us, we will probably never know, and will undoubtedly be a matter of many different opinions.
We can but hope now that the new signings will be good enough to improve the team and help us avoid relegation. The die is cast.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:49 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: February 1st, 2023, 3:10 pm

That's it, for this season it isn't about doing the best we possibly could, it is about doing comfortably well enough. Fingers crossed

Strongly suspect your last sentence sums it up. Does any poster on this site honestly know (not guess) who we tried to sign, only to be outbid or the player declining to join this club? Whether we done the best we could of the options available to us, we will probably never know, and will undoubtedly be a matter of many different opinions.
We can but hope now that the new signings will be good enough to improve the team and help us avoid relegation. The die is cast.

No club knows whether their January signings are going to be the real deal. There will be some that fail miserably, some who get injured, some who are no better than those they replaced. The scenario for us is probably very different than for the likes of Walsall. For us, it's to keep two teams below us. For Walsall, play offs or better. There's a vast diffence, but probably equal pressure. Let's just keep our fingers crossed.