Re: What has happened to us?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 1:34 pm
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 8th, 2023, 12:53 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 12:42 pm
My reading of that is more than 75% of votes cast were required rather than more than 75% of total trust members, to approve the takeover.
I would hope you are right. Getting 75% of a total electorate is pretty much impossible unless you're in North Korea.

However Amberexile is usually good on detail. It is the type of thing over which there should be no ambiguity.
Which is probably why there were two votes in North Wales
Don't understand that comment. What 2 votes?

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 1:47 pm
My reading of that is more than 75% of votes cast were required rather than more than 75% of total trust members, to approve the takeover.
I would hope you are right. Getting 75% of a total electorate is pretty much impossible unless you're in North Korea.

However Amberexile is usually good on detail. It is the type of thing over which there should be no ambiguity.
Read the piece from the leader again, and it states there were two separate votes. So what did the first establish exactly?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Read the piece from the leader again, and it states there were two separate votes. So what did the first establish exactly?
Yes see what you mean now. Although not specified in the leader article I presume a vote was taken on Sept 23rd 2020 by a show of hands at the SGM on that date to merely give the Trusts board permission to pursue a dialogue with the Hollywood 2 about their possible takeover of the club.
Later that year in November a postal vote was taken after the 2 presented their proposal to the Trust membership.
Whether or not our Trust board would have the curtesy to consult the Trust membership before entering into dialogue with any person(s) potentially wishing to change the constitution of Newport afc of course remains to be seen.
They may consider the previous survey conducted about a hybrid model may be permission enough, especially as the potential mover is a board director.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm

Yes see what you mean now. Although not specified in the leader article I presume a vote was taken on Sept 23rd 2020 by a show of hands at the SGM on that date to merely give the Trusts board permission to pursue a dialogue with the Hollywood 2 about their possible takeover of the club.
Later that year in November a postal vote was taken after the 2 presented their proposal to the Trust membership.
Whether or not our Trust board would have the curtesy to consult the Trust membership before entering into dialogue with any person(s) potentially wishing to change the constitution of Newport afc of course remains to be seen.
They may consider the previous survey conducted about a hybrid model may be permission enough, especially as the potential mover is a board director.
Possibly, but I did wonder whether the show of hands vote, in order to give the trusts board permission to pursue dialogue, whether that was subject to the 75% rule. *If* it was, then that vote in itself, may have satisfied the 75% of members rule, as well as 75% at the meeting, and therefore allowed for further change.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:02 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:05 pm

Possibly, but I did wonder whether the show of hands vote, in order to give the trusts board permission to pursue dialogue, whether that was subject to the 75% rule. *If* it was, then that vote in itself, may have satisfied the 75% of members rule, as well as 75% at the meeting, and therefore allowed for further change.
Hadn't thought of it in those terms. My understanding is the 75% members rule is only required for any binding constitutional/ ownership change, and the show of hands vote would have required a simple majority.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:15 pm
Hadn't thought of it in those terms. My understanding is the 75% members rule is only required for any binding constitutional/ ownership change, and the show of hands vote would have required a simple majority.
The board of directors can talk to who they like about what they like. And they don't need anyone's permission to do that. What they can't do is have those discussions and then not tell anyone about it.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:48 pm
The board of directors can talk to who they like about what they like. And they don't need anyone's permission to do that. What they can't do is have those discussions and then not tell anyone about it.
Can't or shouldn't?

Which is true, but it is is different to Wrexham, as Jon Pratt has now joined the trust board, so they can talk until they either reach a joint conclusion or joint disagreement. It is at that point, that the decision can be made whether or not there is something worth voting upon and/or likely to succeed.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:06 pm
Can't or shouldn't?
Good question.

Shouldn't.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 5:09 pm
Which is true, but it is is different to Wrexham, as Jon Pratt has now joined the trust board, so they can talk until they either reach a joint conclusion or joint disagreement. It is at that point, that the decision can be made whether or not there is something worth voting upon and/or likely to succeed.
The Club Statement says that Jon Pratt has joined the board of Newport County AFC, not the trust board.

Stow Hill Sid wrote: March 8th, 2023, 6:22 pm
The Club Statement says that Jon Pratt has joined the board of Newport County AFC, not the trust board.
The trust are the majority shareholders and therefore are in control of NCAFC

Not exactly. The club statement dated 20th Feb says that Newport County afc is pleased to announce the appointment of Jon Pratt to the board as a co-opted director.
I stress again there is only one board i.e. the Supporters Trust board. Newport County Football club operates as a sub-group (not a board) answerable to the Trust Board. As far as I'm aware an individual cannot be co-opted to that sub-group as a director if he/she is not a director of the board.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 8th, 2023, 7:09 pm
Not exactly. The club statement dated 20th Feb says that Newport County afc is pleased to announce the appointment of Jon Pratt to the board as a co-opted director.
I stress again there is only one board i.e. the Supporters Trust board. Newport County Football club operates as a sub-group (not a board) answerable to the Trust Board. As far as I'm aware an individual cannot be co-opted to that sub-group as a director if he/she is not a director of the board.
Jon Pratt is now listed as a Director of Newport Association Football Club Limited, which itself is a separate legal entity to the Trust. However the Supporters’ Trust is the majority shareholder and therefore would be able to influence Board appointments.

Stow Hill Sid wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:57 pm Out of curiosity, if Mr Paul Marks is chair of the Supporters' Trust, and that is the same as the board of Newport County AFC, then what is The board that our chairman chairs? 😀😀
Yes Paul Marks is the chair of the Supporters Trust board. Only some members of that board are chosen to constitute a Football club committee. It is that committee that G Foxall is/was ? the chair of.
I believe that a lot of the misunderstanding of the constitution of the Supporters Trust is caused by the use in common parlance of the term 'football club board' , when the model rules refer to it as a 'committee', the trust board minutes refer to it as the 'club group'.
It is also further confused by the clubs website staff index showing G Foxall as board chairmen.