Views.

Arising out of the David Hando tribute thread I watched the Youtube video of Alun Evans. For those too young to remember Mr Evans was about as popular as a rattlesnake in a lucky dip for County fans back then. That dispute was always going to be won by County and it is regrettable that Alun Evans, in his understandable desire to promote Welsh football, was unable to see that.

What is though interesting, was the local reaction to his view on how football should be developed in Wales. I remember he was absolutely castigated by the then sportswriter in the South Wales Argus and in the letters to that journal for his views on schools football.

In terms he wanted young people up to the age of 16 to play on smaller pitches. His argument being that children should be encouraged to develop skills rather than chase around a full sized pitch. My recollection of being a child in the 1960's and early 1970's was that junior football consisted of me and another fat kid standing 110 yards apart whilst 20 other kids ran around after the ball.

On that issue Evans was right.

Re: Views.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 9th, 2023, 1:43 pm My recollection of being a child in the 1960's and early 1970's was that junior football consisted of me and another fat kid standing 110 yards apart whilst 20 other kids ran around after the ball.
Sounds awfully like there might've been a full length mirror on the halfway line. 😂
Last edited by JonD on February 9th, 2023, 1:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Views.

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 9th, 2023, 2:24 pm If the likes of Swansea and the other football league clubs said they'd join a Welsh system I don't think we'd have had much of an argument
Yes we would. The court case was long before I qualified but legally the Welsh FA didn't have a leg to stand on. Newport AFC as we then were, being a limited company, were entitled to trade wherever they pleased. Any attempt by the Welsh FA to restrict that was unlawful.