Re: Grandstand: Barrow v Newport County

I know this won’t be of huge relevance to the younger members of this forum (if there are any youngsters posting on here) but I took the opportunity to come up to Barrow yesterday and travel on to Workington. I wanted to see the ground where we secured our place in the Football League back in 1977, and where Workington lost their place to Wimbledon at the same time. I had no expectations beyond standing outside the ground and reminiscing quietly, but came across the groundsman who gave me a complete tour of the stadium. Bill Shankly managed them in the ‘50s and there were plenty of references to him in the ground. I believe it was Eddie Woods that scored that critical goal in Cumbria 45 years ago, as I sat at home in Newport hoping for the best. It took me 45 years to make a pilgrimage to that ground and was fortunate to meet someone who was prepared to reminisce with me. I wish Workington AFC all the best for the future. Both Barrow and the County have proved it’s possible to come back.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 11th, 2023, 6:45 pm I know this won’t be of huge relevance to the younger members of this forum (if there are any youngsters posting on here) but I took the opportunity to come up to Barrow yesterday and travel on to Workington. I wanted to see the ground where we secured our place in the Football League back in 1977, and where Workington lost their place to Wimbledon at the same time. I had no expectations beyond standing outside the ground and reminiscing quietly, but came across the groundsman who gave me a complete tour of the stadium. Bill Shankly managed them in the ‘50s and there were plenty of references to him in the ground. I believe it was Eddie Woods that scored that critical goal in Cumbria 45 years ago, as I sat at home in Newport hoping for the best. It took me 45 years to make a pilgrimage to that ground and was fortunate to meet someone who was prepared to reminisce with me. I wish Workington AFC all the best for the future. Both Barrow and the County have proved it’s possible to come back.
Critical days so many years ago! I remember reading the report of a league re-election meeting many years ago, on such occasions Billy Lucas with his many friends saved us on a number of occasions. On the one I’m thinking of the Gateshead representatives “ emerged ashen-faced “ from the meeting - they had failed to be re-elected ( presumably not enough old pals! ).I’ve got a feeling Wigan replaced them.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 11th, 2023, 8:05 pm
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 11th, 2023, 7:22 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 11th, 2023, 6:47 pm It might have been Lancashire 45 years ago.
Think you are correct. Believe it became part of Cumbria after local government reform in 1974.
Two things.

Workington was part of Cumbria in 1977. Prior to 1974 it was in Cumberland.
Agreed. Should have specified I was referring to Barrow in Furness being in Lancashire prior tp 1974, and obviously misinterpreted 'Kevinmoorefellover's post, and certainly got my maths wrong. Had one of my increasingly more frequent senior moments.
Nevertheless an important and much needed 3 points gained in Cumbria today, which makes the League table look a little more re-assuring for now.
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on February 11th, 2023, 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

I know this won’t be of huge relevance to the younger members of this forum (if there are any youngsters posting on here) but I took the opportunity to come up to Barrow yesterday and travel on to Workington. I wanted to see the ground where we secured our place in the Football League back in 1977, and where Workington lost their place to Wimbledon at the same time. I had no expectations beyond standing outside the ground and reminiscing quietly, but came across the groundsman who gave me a complete tour of the stadium. Bill Shankly managed them in the ‘50s and there were plenty of references to him in the ground. I believe it was Eddie Woods that scored that critical goal in Cumbria 45 years ago, as I sat at home in Newport hoping for the best. It took me 45 years to make a pilgrimage to that ground and was fortunate to meet someone who was prepared to reminisce with me. I wish Workington AFC all the best for the future. Both Barrow and the County have proved it’s possible to come back.

That reminded me of a clip that I had from a VHS video ( remember those?) titled "Football Phoenix" about clubs that had re-formed after expiring. There was a 25 min. feature on our club and featured the match at Workington - unfortunately it didn't show the goal!

Glyn.