Re: Exiles Grandstand: Newport v Stevenage

But maybe a goalkeeper who catches the ball and has a collision with an opponent has a better cause than one who is barely able to reach the ball and thus decides to punch rather than catch the ball. If he can catch it, the odds are perhaps 60/40 or better in his favour. If he's opting to punch, the keeper has probably decided he has no better than a 50/50 chance. That's how I would assess the incident on Tuesday, both players had an equal chance of getting there first. Thus they arrived simultaneously.

After watching Steve Evans post match interview of their game with County with all the moaning he did, i've since watched his pre-match interview for his clubs game at Stockport this Saturday. He and the interviewer bring Tuesdays game into discussion a few times. Evans refers to the collision with the goalkeeper as ''horrendous'', indicating that Farquharson should have been penalised for it. Reminds me of the incident between Morecambe goalie Letheren and Scot Bennett at Wembley of which many of us believe a penalty aught have been awarded but it wasn't.
Last edited by reebok0165 on February 17th, 2023, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

More ranting from Evans on referees, about 6 minutes worth from the 3rd minute in. How he is allowed to get away with this public destruction of Ref’s is amazing, apparently ringing the head of refs on his way back on Tuesday who allegedly agrees that Farky should have had a red card and the challenge on Bogle was not a pen. What Ref would want to be involved in any Stevenage game, or is intimidation part of the plan?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:01 am More ranting from Evans on referees, about 6 minutes worth from the 3rd minute in. How he is allowed to get away with this public destruction of Ref’s is amazing, apparently ringing the head of refs on his way back on Tuesday who allegedly agrees that Farky should have had a red card and the challenge on Bogle was not a pen. What Ref would want to be involved in any Stevenage game, or is intimidation part of the plan?
Yes it probably is part of the plan, although I suspect only the secondry part of the plan. Evans has a simple job, to find a way for Stevenage to win football matches. John McEnroe, Alex Ferguson, Denis Wise, were all aware that winding up the opposition gives you an edge.

Steve Evans clearly read the same book.

He is a wind up merchant and plays the victim very well.

I think there is a relatively easy solution to this. DeePee has given us clarity on how the rules of the game are applied to goalkeepers. Very informative and thanks DeePee.

I fail to understand as to why (in general) in the efl, referees and their management body apply the same rules as the Royal family in their dealings with the press and public. In other words, never explain, never apologise. This just gives ammunition to people like four garages Evans.

If, at the end of the game or even a few days later, they, or their management body just explain the rules of the game (like as done by DeePee), this would give an understanding of how and why a particular decision was made. There is no need to go into specific details of each incident, just an explanation of the rules. This would cut out the nonsense we see at source.

pembsexile wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:30 am He is a wind up merchant and plays the victim very well.

I think there is a relatively easy solution to this. DeePee has given us clarity on how the rules of the game are applied to goalkeepers. Very informative and thanks DeePee.

I fail to understand as to why (in general) in the efl, referees and their management body apply the same rules as the Royal family in their dealings with the press and public. In other words, never explain, never apologise. This just gives ammunition to people like four garages Evans.

If, at the end of the game or even a few days later, they, or their management body just explain the rules of the game (like as done by DeePee), this would give an understanding of how and why a particular decision was made. There is no need to go into specific details of each incident, just an explanation of the rules. This would cut out the nonsense we see at source.
That sounds like common sense. However Steve Evans doesn't wish for common sense to reign, he wants a referee in a similar incident in a Stevenage game to do what he thought should have happened on Tuesday night - a red card. So by bleating about the outcome of Tuesday nights incident he is hoping to gain an unfair advantage down the line. I'm surprised that the ref didn't come over, talk to Evans and advise him that his job isn't that of the nights referee. Some may say that would be inflaming the situation, rather than calming things, but Evans is essentially a bully and referees need to indicate that they won't allow such behaviour...

wattsville_boy wrote: February 17th, 2023, 9:16 am
pembsexile wrote: February 17th, 2023, 8:30 am He is a wind up merchant and plays the victim very well.

That sounds like common sense. However Steve Evans doesn't wish for common sense to reign, he wants a referee in a similar incident in a Stevenage game to do what he thought should have happened on Tuesday night - a red card. So by bleating about the outcome of Tuesday nights incident he is hoping to gain an unfair advantage down the line. I'm surprised that the ref didn't come over, talk to Evans and advise him that his job isn't that of the nights referee. Some may say that would be inflaming the situation, rather than calming things, but Evans is essentially a bully and referees need to indicate that they won't allow such behaviour...
100% agree with you WB. If you listen to the start of the interview, it seems the local reporter is already in agreement with him about referees. Opinions matter and he has the local reporter in his pocket.

What I also think is outrageous is that 4 mins in, he explains to the reporter that on the way home he was talking to ‘Mike’ the head of the referees association to complain. He even intimated that he was agreeing with him by his body language. I think that is unfair, immoral and unprofessional of him. I hope GC has right of reply to ‘Mike’ otherwise it will get out of hand and Stevenage will get the ref decisions that four garages Evans wants.

Having read Ferguson's autobiography, which it has to be said is so boring that how I ever got through it remains a mystery, I confess there was one intetesting snippet.

We all remember 'Fergie time'. This is in essence what he said about it in his book.

No manager is ever going to influence a referee. The idea that a referee would add on time or blow his whistle early because I was standing on the touch line pointing to my watch is ridiculous. No the reason I did that was that it wound up the opposition.

I very much suspect Steve Evans is up to the same type of thing. Think about it, you've all watched the interview with Evans. You're all angry. You believe it's outrageous because you fear Evans has intimidated referees and will therefore 'get the ref decisions that four garages Evans wants.

And if you've watched the interview don't you think that the opposition players facing Stevenage on Saturday might have reached the same conclusions as yourself? And if those players take the pitch thinking that the referee is biased against them, that that will have an adverse effect on their performance?

Steve Evans doesn't give two hoots what you or I think. But I guess he's chuffed to bits that you are confirming that his methods work.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 17th, 2023, 12:17 pm Having read Ferguson's autobiography, which it has to be said is so boring that how I ever got through it remains a mystery, I confess there was one intetesting snippet.

We all remember 'Fergie time'. This is in essence what he said about it in his book.

No manager is ever going to influence a referee. The idea that a referee would add on time or blow his whistle early because I was standing on the touch line pointing to my watch is ridiculous. No the reason I did that was that it wound up the opposition.

I very much suspect Steve Evans is up to the same type of thing. Think about it, you've all watched the interview with Evans. You're all angry. You believe it's outrageous because you fear Evans has intimidated referees and will therefore 'get the ref decisions that four garages Evans wants.

And if you've watched the interview don't you think that the opposition players facing Stevenage on Saturday might have reached the same conclusions as yourself? And if those players take the pitch thinking that the referee is biased against them, that that will have an adverse effect on their performance?

Steve Evans doesn't give two hoots what you or I think. But I guess he's chuffed to bits that you are confirming that his methods work.
Not quite sure myself about that one Brendan. There have been numerous comments over the years on this mb about the impact of managers on refs (Evans and Wellens et al) and lots of comments about biased refs by fans - Morecambe anyone?

However, apart from the obvious about a player being careful when on a yellow, I can’t remember a player saying before a game (or even after for that matter) that he had to be careful because a particular ref could make a biased decision against him.

I also couldn’t give two hoots about what four garages thinks about my views and I would hazard a guess that the County players are laughing at him in private as well. Hope so anyway. It is one of those situations in life that is both funny and serious at the same time.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 17th, 2023, 6:35 pm I suppose Mike as with all mind games we never know which work and which don't. But I wonder what our view of Steve Evans would be if he were County manager and we were second in Leagie 2?
That’s easy Brendan - he’d be a great manager doing his best for us! That’s the funny side, the serious side, as I mentioned earlier is that fair play seems to have gone out of the window. The ref leadership need to grow some balls as I mentioned with a potential solution earlier.