Bodycams

Looks like the English fa are going to trial them in England for grassroots refs

Good or a bad idea what do you think

Personally I think it's great idea perhaps the fa could shame the abusers on line as well and perhaps it would encourage better behaviour

Re: Bodycams

I’m marginally in favour though it may have precluded some of the full and frank discussions I had with players eg “ I don’t give a f¥ck if you swear when we’re talking unless you swear at me or loud enough for any spectators or passers-by to hear, if you do either of those you’re off son “ . It would also have probably prevented one of our local refs being able to deliver (when told the player’s name was “ Roy Rogers “) the immortal line “ well you’re f¥cking sent off mate - and take Trigger with you! “ . In these pc times I expect that wonderful, witty referee would probably no longer be considered acceptable.

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 15th, 2023, 6:18 pm Looks like the English fa are going to trial them in England for grassroots refs

Good or a bad idea what do you think

Personally I think it's great idea perhaps the fa could shame the abusers on line as well and perhaps it would encourage better behaviour
In theory Jim it is a sound idea. However, there are numerous caveats to using body cams and any other camera that captures moving images of people (particularly with sound). There is a whole raft of Information Governance hoops that you have to jump through. I am sure the FA are aware of that and I just hope they do the relevant research and discussion phases. You can’t just take moving photos of people Willy nilly. If the refs camera photographs supporters (even inadvertently) in certain situations, they can request a copy of the image. That would be a nightmare for the FA.

Just to give an illustration - if you have a ‘ring’ doorbell, be very careful how you use it. It obviously captures moving images. You must not have the capability to capture moving images of people going into your neighbours houses. If they find out they can ask to see the photos. On my system I have tailored it to be blacked out over the pathway leading to my neighbours door.

Great idea in principle, but they must be very careful.

I’m in my 13th season as a grassroots referee but have previously done 2 international (youth) games and been in the middle for Welsh league games. The last 2 seasons I’ve been refereeing in the English FA areas.

It’s my experience generally that the conduct of coaches and spectators and players in South Wales is far, far worse than I currently see in England. In one season in the East Gwent league I would typically send off 6-8 players or coaches per month and often submit 1-2 misconduct reports (about clubs failing to control their players, staff or fans). Last season in an equivalent English grassroots league I sent off just 2 players all season and no misconduct reports all year.

A big difference in England is we use the sin bin rule for dissent (answering a referee back in a disrespectful way questioning their decision) - this has been a big help and I’d love to see it introduced in the pro game particularly the Premier League.

To the question of wearing bodycams - I wouldn’t personally need or want one as I’m confident I can generally (9 times out of 10) make the right decisions and I’m open & honest when explaining these to a player, even if they’re arguing for a penalty for a shirt pull I’m self-confident enough to say “Sorry mate, I hear what you’re saying and I do believe you but I genuinely didn’t see it so I can’t award a penalty, sorry”.

I’ve personally found showing that level of humility and honesty has worked for me, and so I don’t get confronted, generally teams say I was a good ref and there are seldom any issues. The closest I’ve ever come to violence (other than seeing players fight) was when a Welsh youth coach squared up to me, almost nose to nose, and I stared him out and he thought better of doing something stupid and backed off. Then I red-carded him!

But I have heard many accounts from referees - young and old, male and female - who have been threatened, racially abused, had their car damaged after a game and many have jacked it in because of the hassle. We do it for the love of the game and in my case ‘to give something back’ rather than for the small fees we get so no amount of violence or hassle is worth it.

Coincidentally I’m meeting former EFL referee Brett Huxtable tomorrow evening. I never rated him whenever he officiated games I watched but he is very experienced and I’m looking forward to hearing his stories. What is clear to me from my own career is that refereeing gets easier the higher the standard, although the stakes are higher the level of respect is better, plus there’s a team of 3 (two assistants plus the ref to share the decision making) whereas on the local parks it can be a lonely job on your own with no assistants and no mentors watching you.

I guess Brett would be in favour of bodycams but in reality we’re never going to get them at grassroots level, seeing as we can’t even get the FA to pay for £300 ‘buzzer flags’ or radio sets when we work with linesmen, so I can’t see we’d get bodycams unless we buy them ourselves.