Walsall v Newport County

Saturday 18th February 2023.
Walsall v Newport County .

Matches between both clubs go back as far as 1927.
Since the clubs first meeting in 1927 / 1928 when they competed in the former Division Three South, the clubs have met on sixty nine occasions for competitive matches. County have twenty-seven wins while Walsall have twenty-four.

1979 / 1980:
Probably the most memorable game between both clubs came in season 1979 / 1980 in the old Division Four, todays League Two. The first game between the two saw Walsall beat County 1-0 at Somerton Park
The final weekend of the season:
Walsall 2-4 Newport County.
A very large following of 6000+ County supporters to see County face Walsall at Fellows Park knowing that victory would guarantee promotion to Division Three. County were 2-0 ahead midway through the first half, both scored by John Aldridge. Player manager Alan Buckley reduced the deficit with a penalty before Dave Gwyther restored a two goal lead for County before half time. Very early in the second half, Don Penn reduced the deficit to a single goal with a low shot inside the box. Tommy Tynan headed a fourth for County, a lead they held, winning 4-2.
County were back in Division Three for the first time in eighteen years. With Walsall also gaining promotion as runners-up, both clubs competed against each other in Division Three for the next seven seasons.

2017 / 2018:
FA Cup Round One.
Newport County 2-1 Walsall.
Frank Nouble put County ahead on eighteen minutes against their opponents who were one tier above County at the time. Shawn McCoulsky double the lead in the first minute of the second half. Amadou Bakayoko got one back for Walsall with around fourteen minutes remaining but County held on for victory that would eventually see them reach Round Four.

2019 / 2020:
Walsall 0-0 Newport County.
A dull goalless draw with few chances created by either side and only two shots on target. County were unbeaten in their opening four league games.

Newport County 0-0 Walsall.
After this goalless draw, both sides remained mid table.

2020 / 2021:
Newport County 1-1 Walsall.
Elijah Adebayo put the Saddlers in front on twenty one minutes, two minutes before Scott Twine leveled. County were now three points clear at the top after thirteen games.

2021 / 2022:
Both sides on target in the first half. Mickey Demetriou giving County the lead in the ninth minute before the Saddlers leveled in added time by Tyrese Shade.Moments before Walsall equalised, Matty Dolan had a penalty saved by Carl Rushworth. The game was heading for a draw until former Walsall defender James Clarke headed into the net with around five minutes remaining.

Walsall 3-3 Newport County.
Dominic Telford got the only goal of the first half within the first five minutes. Within eight minutes of the restart, Walsall were level. Striker Conor Wilkinson on target before hitting the target three minutes later but at the wrong end. Another OG, this time from Matty Dolan, leveled the scoreline midway through the half. Within a minute, County regained the lead through Dominic Telford.
County appeared to have gained the three points until Conor Wilkinson earned the Saddlers a point deep into added time with a tremendous strike.

2022 / 2023:
Newport County 0-1 Walsall.
County's first L2 game of the season at Rodney Parade saw a return of Mike Flynn and Wayne Hatswell. The games only goal came in the sixty third minute, Mickey Demetriou scoring at the wrong end. In his post match interview, Flynny admitted the best team on the day lost.

This week, Wednesday 15th February 2023, Mike Flynn had been in charge of the Saddlers for a full year. His record during that time is:
Played 53
Won 20
Draws 14
Lost 19

Managers:
Walsall - Mike Flynn.
Newport County - Graham Coughlan.

Head to head:

Mike Flynn 1 - County 2-1 Mansfield, 2020 / 2021
Graham Coughlan 1 - Mansfield 1-0 County, 2019 / 2020
Draws 0

Some of the players who've had connections with both Newport County and Walsall:
Kevin Cooper
Paul Hall
Karl Darlow
George Johnston
Ian McLoughlin
Aaron Williams
Will Randall
Ian Turner
Cameron Pring
Neil Davis
Roy John
George Nurse
Emmanuel Osadebe
Conor Wilkinson
Joss Labadie
Jamille Matt
Jake Scrimshaw
Timmy Abraham
James Clarke
Cameron Norman
Robbie Willmott - currently loaned to Walsall

Last edited by reebok0165 on February 18th, 2023, 5:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Walsall v Newport County

reebok0165 wrote: February 17th, 2023, 4:07 pm Saturday 18th February 2023.
Newport County v Walsall.

Matches between both clubs go back as far as 1927.
Since the clubs first meeting in 1927 / 1928 when they competed in the former Division Three South, the clubs have met on sixty nine occasions for competitive matches. County have twenty-seven wins while Walsall have twenty-four.

1979 / 1980:
Probably the most memorable game between both clubs came in season 1979 / 1980 in the old Division Four, todays League Two. The first game between the two saw Walsall beat County 1-0 at Somerton Park
The final weekend of the season:
Walsall 2-4 Newport County.
A very large following of 6000+ County supporters to see County face Walsall at Fellows Park knowing that victory would guarantee promotion to Division Three. County were 2-0 ahead midway through the first half, both scored by John Aldridge. Player manager Alan Buckley reduced the deficit with a penalty before Dave Gwyther restored a two goal lead for County before half time. Very early in the second half, Don Penn reduced the deficit to a single goal with a low shot inside the box. Tommy Tynan headed a fourth for County, a lead they held, winning 4-2.
County were back in Division Three for the first time in eighteen years. With Walsall also gaining promotion as champions, both clubs competed against each other in Division Three for the next seven seasons.

2017 / 2018:
FA Cup Round One.
Frank Nouble put County ahead on eighteen minutes against their opponents who were one tier above County at the time. Shawn McCoulsky double the lead in the first minute of the second half. Amadou Bakayoko got one back for Walsall with around fourteen minutes remaining but County held on for victory that would eventually see them reach Round Four.

2019 / 2020:
Walsall 0-0 Newport County.
A dull goalless draw with few chances created by either side and only two shots on target. County were unbeaten in their opening four league games.

Newport County 0-0 Walsall.
After this goalless draw, both sides remained mid table.

2020 / 2021:
Newport County 1-1 Walsall.
Elijah Adebayo put the Saddlers in front on twenty one minutes, two minutes before Scott Twine leveled. County were now three points clear at the top after thirteen games.

2021 / 2022:
Both sides on target in the first half. Mickey Demetriou giving County the lead in the ninth minute before the Saddlers leveled in added time by Tyrese Shade.Moments before Walsall equalised, Matty Dolan had a penalty saved by Carl Rushworth. The game was heading for a draw until former Walsall defender James Clarke headed into the net with around five minutes remaining.

Walsall 3-3 Newport County.
Dominic Telford got the only goal of the first half within the first five minutes. Within eight minutes of the restart, Walsall were level. Striker Conor Wilkinson on target before hitting the target three minutes later but at the wrong end. Another OG, this time from Matty Dolan, leveled the scoreline midway through the half. Within a minute, County regained the lead through Dominic Telford.
County appeared to have gained the three points until Conor Wilkinson earned the Saddlers a point deep into added time with a tremendous strike.

2022 / 2023:
Newport County 0-1 Walsall.
County's first L2 game of the season at Rodney Parade saw a return of Mike Flynn and Wayne Hatswell. The games only goal came in the sixty third minute, Mickey Demetriou scoring at the wrong end. In his post match interview, Flynny admitted the best team on the day lost.

This week, Wednesday 15th February 2023, Mike Flynn had been in charge of the Saddlers for a full year. His record during that time is:
Played 53
Won 20
Draws 14
Lost 19

Managers:
Walsall - Mike Flynn.
Newport County - Graham Coughlan.

Head to head:

Mike Flynn 1 - County 2-1 Mansfield, 2020 / 2021
Graham Coughlan 1 - Mansfield 1-0 County, 2019 / 2020
Draws 0

Some of the players who've had connections with both Newport County and Walsall:
Kevin Cooper
Paul Hall
Karl Darlow
George Johnston
Ian McLoughlin
Aaron Williams
Will Randall
Ian Turner
Cameron Pring
Neil Davis
Roy John
George Nurse
Emmanuel Osadebe
Conor Wilkinson
Joss Labadie
Jamille Matt
Jake Scrimshaw
Timmy Abraham
James Clarke
Cameron Norman
Robbie Willmott - currently loaned to Walsall

I am more than happy to be corrected but my memory is that Huddersfield were champions that year, with Walsall as runners up.

Think it will be an interesting startng team selection tomorrow, given it will be game 3 of 5 in a 14 day period. Will it be prudant to reduce game time for some?Personally would start with Moriah- Welsh with either Aaron Lewis or Charsley on the bench and Baker given a start with Clarke on the bench. Will Bogle be fit? If not start with Zanzala. Could the Hartlepool game be regarded as more crucial in some ways?

Yeh, not only is it game 3 of 5 in a 14 day period but there is a travelling issue as well. GC has already mentioned travel weariness in his interviews. Walsall away then a trip to Hartlepool on Tuesday. I think the Pools game is probably the most important from our point of view. Game management (jeepers, that’s a modern term I used there) tomorrow will be crucial. Two wins would be superb.

Blackandamber wrote: February 17th, 2023, 5:37 pm I was living in Leicestershire in 1980 and my journey to Walsall for the promotion match took me through or very near to the town of Aldridge. I took that as a good omen, and so it was!
I was also at the game, and then the following Wednesday at the Welsh cup final at Shrewsbury.
Fantastic week that was, even though we had already qualified for the European Cup Winners cup before the game.
In the Argus it mentioned Aldridge being stood at the front of the team bus, and upon seeing a sign saying Aldridge 2, he shouted it's an omen, and so it was.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 17th, 2023, 7:11 pm
Blackandamber wrote: February 17th, 2023, 5:37 pm I was living in Leicestershire in 1980 and my journey to Walsall for the promotion match took me through or very near to the town of Aldridge. I took that as a good omen, and so it was!
I was also at the game, and then the following Wednesday at the Welsh cup final at Shrewsbury.
Fantastic week that was, even though we had already qualified for the European Cup Winners cup before the game.
In the Argus it mentioned Aldridge being stood at the front of the team bus, and upon seeing a sign saying Aldridge 2, he shouted it's an omen, and so it was.
As the team bus turned towards Walsall there was a sign saying Aldridge 4. "John's rating in tomorrow's Sunday People" quipped one of the team. Which according to 'A Season of Triumph' broke the tension.

Might as well get the story right for those too young to remembet. :grin:

landinho wrote: February 17th, 2023, 11:56 pm As someone mentioned managerial records, I thought I’d compare Flynn and Coughlan’s records up to now… in order

Flynn County 2017 — 1.83ppg
Rowberry 2021-22 — 1.56ppg
Coughlan 2022-23 — 1.47ppg
Flynn Walsall 2022 — 1.38ppg
Flynn Walsall 2022-23 — 1.43ppg
That's very interesting, particularly when considering the amount cash Flynn has been allowed to splash at Walsall.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 17th, 2023, 6:09 pm Think it will be an interesting startng team selection tomorrow, given it will be game 3 of 5 in a 14 day period. Will it be prudant to reduce game time for some?Personally would start with Moriah- Welsh with either Aaron Lewis or Charsley on the bench and Baker given a start with Clarke on the bench. Will Bogle be fit? If not start with Zanzala. Could the Hartlepool game be regarded as more crucial in some ways?
You got your wish with MW. He starts with Bogle and Kavanagh up front.

What I find interesting is that GC's record of 1.47 points per game at County is that of a mid-table team. Not relegation candidates. Until very recently he achieved this entirely with the players he inherited when he joined. To my mind this illustrates the difference that different managers can make even with the same players,