Re: New co-opted Board member

whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:44 am "the WRU have asked the County if they would wish to purchase RP"

So when was this announced then, or is it just a rumour? It has been referred to a couple of times in this thread but no-one seems to have picked up on it - I can understand the WRU motives as the basket case/laughing stock of the sporting world.

If true, this could be most significant development opportunity since we moved there.

Anyone care to elaborate ?
Mate, I couldn’t have put it better myself. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Unfortunately I can’t elaborate but I do have questions.

When was this announced?
How come some are in the know?
To what extent are the Trust involved?

whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 10:10 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:56 am
whoareya wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 11:17 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 10:23 am Quote Whoareya - If this extract from his Facebook post is accurate then you have your reason why he initially got the cold shoulder:

I wrote the old fashioned way with 3 asks…
*1. A confidentiality agreement*
2. 4 years detailed income statements and balance sheets.
3. The minimum price for controlling interest.
*Then we can talk.*

Seems he asked for everything upfront, before he wanted dialogue.

What we have is someone who has, if the above extract is accurate, enquired about taking a controlling interest and now has a seat on the club board, without any details/plans/proposals being given.

My gut feel is that a lifelong County supporter who has carved a successful career in the US and who has apparently travelled half a million miles to watch the club play would have bought Trust Community Shares when there was an urgent need to save the club.

That does not appear to be the case.

So I'll continue to be cautious until its demonstrated otherwise, comfortable in the knowledge that he needs the support of the majority of Trust members to take a controlling stake in the club.
"would have bought Trust Community Shares when there was an urgent need to save the club."

Albeit vital for our future & you can include me but does this group think they are a cut above others who have become supporters since or more that just couldn't afford it!
Smacks of an unhealthy clique to me.
Well seeing as people on the bones of their arse managed to contribute, I am wondering why a successful business man and international superfan travelling half a million miles to watch his team doesn't seem to have done.
Ok but not a reason to doubt his intentions now.
That's a matter of opinion, I cant see how a superfan either wasn't aware of our serious plight, or didn't think it serious enough to contribute.
Same applies to any other board member, co-opted or elected.

After all, the Trust fundraising - bringing collective ownership to the many rather than the few - was the only way the club would survive.

Or wasn't it....?
[/quote]

Although I contributed it was only for a negligible amount. In truth I thought at the time it was crazy. Firstly Newport AFC were formed as a fans owned club. When did we cease to be so? I felt we were simply being asked to buy that which was already ours.

Grateful though we should be to Les Scadding, he chose to spend his money on Newport County. He had his time on the pitch after we beat Wrexham, he had his games of snooker with Justin Edinburgh. I didn't see why I should be asked to help pay for that. People on their arses giving money to a lotto multi-millionnaire.

I don't know but is it not possible that Jon Pratt was just waiting to pick up the pieces?

pembsexile wrote: February 25th, 2023, 10:17 am
whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:44 am "the WRU have asked the County if they would wish to purchase RP"

So when was this announced then, or is it just a rumour? It has been referred to a couple of times in this thread but no-one seems to have picked up on it - I can understand the WRU motives as the basket case/laughing stock of the sporting world.

If true, this could be most significant development opportunity since we moved there.

Anyone care to elaborate ?
Mate, I couldn’t have put it better myself. I was thinking exactly the same thing. Unfortunately I can’t elaborate but I do have questions.

When was this announced?
How come some are in the know?
To what extent are the Trust involved?

This is a direct quote from Stan yesterday to my question who has the better deal:

Obviously Newport County.

And the WRU, the cunning sods, tried to offload Rodney Parade to the County. Said they would not only pay us rent but would give us half a million quid to take the stadium off their hands. Luckily the financial geniuses in charge of our club were far too clever to fall for that.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:24 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:19 am

So who has the better deal?
Obviously Newport County.

And the WRU, the cunning sods, tried to offload Rodney Parade to the County. Said they would not only pay us rent but would give us half a million quid to take the stadium off their hands. Luckily the financial geniuses in charge of our club were far too clever to fall for that.

Now my dear old thing, as you have so much brightened up my days I think it only fair I do something for you. And as you are the only one on here who understands basic economics, the something I have is the real deal.

At the bottom of my garden there lives a leprechaun. And every Sunday as rent he brings me a crock of gold. I have so much gold I don't know what to do with it and I thought I would give maybe a tonne of it to you. So if you could PM me we can exchange addresses and I will ship you all this gold. I would offer this to all the posters on this board, but the truth is they are all so economically illiterate that it would be a waste of time. Many of them are so thick they bought their own homes rather than rent. Idiots I know but there's nothing we can do.

One little thing. I will need you to send me £10,000. Just for shipping costs you understand. But don't worry with all that gold you'll not miss the ten grand.
Sorry to quote myself.

This is what I actually said. Read it in context.

Sarcasm my dear chap. Not only the lowest form of wit, but wasted on the terminally stupid.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:50 pm
whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:29 pm So the WRU haven't then.

Christ, what a waste of time that was.
Serious question. Nobody would accuse you and me of being hand in glove with each other. Which makes you the ideal person to adjudicate on this.

My leprechaun post was not meant to be taken literally, that was obvious wasn't it?
No it wasn't, largely because you yourself then posted several times afterwards as to where the information came from.

whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 12:59 pm

Serious question. Nobody would accuse you and me of being hand in glove with each other. Which makes you the ideal person to adjudicate on this.

My leprechaun post was not meant to be taken literally, that was obvious wasn't it?
No it wasn't, largely because you yourself then posted several times afterwards as to where the information came from.
That’s what got me. That is, the post at 9.45 this morning.

I thought it was pretty obvious

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 25th, 2023, 10:20 am
whoareya wrote: February 25th, 2023, 10:10 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: February 25th, 2023, 9:56 am
whoareya wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 11:17 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 10:23 am Quote Whoareya - If this extract from his Facebook post is accurate then you have your reason why he initially got the cold shoulder:

I wrote the old fashioned way with 3 asks…
*1. A confidentiality agreement*
2. 4 years detailed income statements and balance sheets.
3. The minimum price for controlling interest.
*Then we can talk.*

Seems he asked for everything upfront, before he wanted dialogue.

What we have is someone who has, if the above extract is accurate, enquired about taking a controlling interest and now has a seat on the club board, without any details/plans/proposals being given.

My gut feel is that a lifelong County supporter who has carved a successful career in the US and who has apparently travelled half a million miles to watch the club play would have bought Trust Community Shares when there was an urgent need to save the club.

That does not appear to be the case.

So I'll continue to be cautious until its demonstrated otherwise, comfortable in the knowledge that he needs the support of the majority of Trust members to take a controlling stake in the club.
"would have bought Trust Community Shares when there was an urgent need to save the club."

Albeit vital for our future & you can include me but does this group think they are a cut above others who have become supporters since or more that just couldn't afford it!
Smacks of an unhealthy clique to me.
Well seeing as people on the bones of their arse managed to contribute, I am wondering why a successful business man and international superfan travelling half a million miles to watch his team doesn't seem to have done.
Ok but not a reason to doubt his intentions now.
That's a matter of opinion, I cant see how a superfan either wasn't aware of our serious plight, or didn't think it serious enough to contribute.
Same applies to any other board member, co-opted or elected.

After all, the Trust fundraising - bringing collective ownership to the many rather than the few - was the only way the club would survive.

Or wasn't it....?
Although I contributed it was only for a negligible amount. In truth I thought at the time it was crazy. Firstly Newport AFC were formed as a fans owned club. When did we cease to be so? I felt we were simply being asked to buy that which was already ours.

Grateful though we should be to Les Scadding, he chose to spend his money on Newport County. He had his time on the pitch after we beat Wrexham, he had his games of snooker with Justin Edinburgh. I didn't see why I should be asked to help pay for that. People on their arses giving money to a lotto multi-millionnaire.

I don't know but is it not possible that Jon Pratt was just waiting to pick up the pieces?
[/quote]

I would point out that fans who "decided that the club needed money" raised £15 grand, and pushed forward a longstanding fan to hand it over to Les Scadding. Now that was embarrassing, and shows to what lengths some fans go to have some input on spending.

And by the way, as your keen on spelling, there is no *I* in democracy, if you want a say in how the trust runs the club, you err, have to sign up. Simples.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 25th, 2023, 3:21 pm True.

And there's no 'i' in leprechaun.

There is a i in unicorn. And there's two 'i's in idiot.
Perhaps you need to explain to the ratepayers of Newport, who have paid £10,000 plus in rates while NCAFC have been at RP, why you, *I* need to write an open letter spending their cash on your shiney shiney thing?
Have they asked you to represent them in some way, or have the trust/club asked you to represent them?