Re: Exiles Grandstand - Hartlepool away

excessbee wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 7:53 am I like the strategy Coughlan employs whereby we continue to press in the last ten minutes. Flynn’s thinking was always that a point is OK, let's hold on to it, thus sitting deeper and deeper and far too often paying the penalty. There was none of that evident last night.
We were in a relegation battle. Unless we completely implode we are pretty much safe. Last three away games have seen two injury time winners and a late equalizer. And I agree entirely with what you say.

I would add that Coughlan has to work with what he has. We don't have a strike force capable of allowing us to play open football. His tactic seems to be to out muscle the opposition, keep it tight and use being exceptionally fit to go for it late on.

It may not be the best entertainment but it's a bloody sight more entertaining than losing week in week out.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 8:16 am
excessbee wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 7:53 am I like the strategy Coughlan employs whereby we continue to press in the last ten minutes. Flynn’s thinking was always that a point is OK, let's hold on to it, thus sitting deeper and deeper and far too often paying the penalty. There was none of that evident last night.
We were in a relegation battle. Unless we completely implode we are pretty much safe. Last three away games have seen two injury time winners and a late equalizer. And I agree entirely with what you say.

I would add that Coughlan has to work with what he has. We don't have a strike force capable of allowing us to play open football. His tactic seems to be to out muscle the opposition, keep it tight and use being exceptionally fit to go for it late on.

It may not be the best entertainment but it's a bloody sight more entertaining than losing week in week out.
I entirely agree with this synopsis.

So at start of season we where 7 points off the top of the table where we in a promotion battle?

We haven't been in a relegation battle

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 10:27 am

So at start of season we where 7 points off the top of the table where we in a promotion battle?

We haven't been in a relegation battle
Jim,

In your opinion we have not been in a relegation battle. It is not an opinion I share. Back in the 1960's I remember Northampton Town in Division 3 having 36 points from 36 games. (Two points for a win then.) They weren't in a relegation battle until the contrived to lose their last ten games and down they came.

There are facts. Yesterday we beat Hartlepool 1-0. There are opinions. Whether or not we were in a relegation battle is simply an opinion. Try not to confuse the two.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 12:34 pm We’re inching towards safety, which is good to see. However, possibly through necessity, the football has been grinding. Hartlepool fans reckon yesterday’s game was one of the poorest they’ve seen and that the ‘least worst team won’. My question is, once we’re safe, will we be able to play football with greater freedom and a greater degree of entertainment?
In my view probably not. We simply don't have the players to do that. It's said so often that football is a results business. And for once I am in agreement with the majority. I think Coughlan has done a superb job. I think he is pragmatic and would prefer to win 1-0 than lose 5-4.

Great game at Anfield last night. Sh!te game at Hartlepool. I bet I enjoyed last night a bloody sight more than every Red Scouser did.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 12:43 pm
Kevinmoorefellover wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 12:34 pm We’re inching towards safety, which is good to see. However, possibly through necessity, the football has been grinding. Hartlepool fans reckon yesterday’s game was one of the poorest they’ve seen and that the ‘least worst team won’. My question is, once we’re safe, will we be able to play football with greater freedom and a greater degree of entertainment?
In my view probably not. We simply don't have the players to do that. It's said so often that football is a results business. And for once I am in agreement with the majority. I think Coughlan has done a superb job. I think he is pragmatic and would prefer to win 1-0 than lose 5-4.

Great game at Anfield last night. Sh!te game at Hartlepool. I bet I enjoyed last night a bloody sight more than every Red Scouser did.
Agree with you that we don't have the quality of player to play with greater freedom and entertainment. The overall accuracy of forward passing and crossing from the players is currently far to often poor to be able do so. Not that we shouldn't aspire to improve those inaccuracies of course.

I think that depends greatly on whether we can solve this season's enigma of Aaron Wildig who was again missing from the 18 last night.

Amberexile wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 1:44 pm
I think that depends greatly on whether we can solve this season's enigma of Aaron Wildig who was again missing from the 18 last night.
Now Jason Bowens illness is out in the public domain perhaps Sam Bowen has stepped up a gear and gone ahead of him in the pecking order.
Although he hasn't shown it there is a good player in there somewhere as he proved whilst at Cardiff ( Youth and on the fringes of the first team). So much so that when he signed I believed Cardiff have a buy back clause in his contract if we decided to sell on ????

From memory,Aaron wasn’t in the squad for a few weeks then came in for the Stevenage game.He played 20 minutes or so and hasn’t made the squad since.This suggests that he has some ongoing injury problem which seems to have dragged on all season.This may explain why Morecambe weren’t keen on giving him a longer contract.The enigma goes on.

Percy plunkett wrote: February 22nd, 2023, 2:57 pm
From memory,Aaron wasn’t in the squad for a few weeks then came in for the Stevenage game.He played 20 minutes or so and hasn’t made the squad since.This suggests that he has some ongoing injury problem which seems to have dragged on all season.This may explain why Morecambe weren’t keen on giving him a longer contract.The enigma goes on.
Reported in the 'gus that both Wildig and Townsend both travelled to Hartlepool, but failed late fitness tests, but they and Adam Lewis may all be available for selection Saturday.