Re: Play offs

lowandhard wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 11:53 pm
excessbee wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 10:39 pm Actually, it would be 71 to better Salford, but as I said, ifs, buts and maybes. Tough game ahead on Saturday. That's the only one that matters..... for now.
Agree with Coughlans “ crawl, walk, run “. Let’s
dispel all relegation fears first. I agree with your and most managers view that the next game is what our focus should be. The playoffs are a pipe-dream - a mathematical possibility but not much more than that.
Mike for goodness sake we ain't in a relegation fight

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:41 am
excessbee wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 10:39 pm Actually, it would be 71 to better Salford, but as I said, ifs, buts and maybes. Tough game ahead on Saturday. That's the only one that matters..... for now.
dispel all relegation fears first. I agree with your and most managers view that the next game is what our focus should be. The playoffs are a pipe-dream - a mathematical possibility but not much more than that.
That's still an opinion rather than a fact.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:49 am
Totally agree mate. My opinion is that we have been in a relegation fight but thankfully we are moving away from it at the moment. When we are mathematically safe I will breathe a sigh of relief but at this stage it seems we will get to that point sooner than we would have only a few weeks ago. Life as a County fan eh?

pembsexile wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:56 am
Totally agree mate. My opinion is that we have been in a relegation fight but thankfully we are moving away from it at the moment. When we are mathematically safe I will breathe a sigh of relief but at this stage it seems we will get to that point sooner than we would have only a few weeks ago. Life as a County fan eh?
Ditto that

pembsexile wrote: February 24th, 2023, 8:56 am
If we were to repeat the results from the last 5 games in the next 5 games, that would do it. We have 15 games left.

As the original poster of "At what point should County dispense with Coughlan" may I defend myself by saying that I was merely asking the question halfway through the transfer window (14th January) when there had been out-goings but no in-comings and the form was not good. I still think it was a relevant question to ask at the time.

Regarding play-offs - not a chance, even though County have taken 11 points from the last 5 games. County are still closer to the relegation zone than the play-offs and should continue to believe they are in a relegation fight until such time it becomes mathematically impossible to go down. I don't think Coughlan has any "magic formula" other than getting the players to believe in themselves and in each other and in working hard. County are not worthy of a play-off place because frankly they are not good enough to go up and stay up. I suspect that they will finish somewhere between 12th and the play-off positions and that would be decent. Not long ago they were 25/1 on being relegated, which looked like a decent price because they were playing absolute shite...

UPTHEPORT wrote: February 24th, 2023, 4:05 pm This is the mindset of County fans to think we're in a relegation fight

Snap out of it everyone we
Let's start thinking positive
Jim,

I think we are pretty much out of the relegation dog fight. Three wins and two draws in five games will do that. Five games ago we were in it. (In my view, you hold otherwise)

As for being nuts. Well half remembering half day closing wouldn't suggest thst you are. On the other hand, thinking we might make the play-offs would suggest, ..... well you know...... what's the phrase I'm looking for?......... Dagenham East.

Which as those who know the District Line on the London underground will realize is about four stops beyond Barking. :grin:

I hope I'm wrong but I think we could be getting a reality check tomorrow.

We have a decent, fit and hard working team but with the exception of the Lewis twins we lack the creativity to push on for the play offs.

Our goal this year should be to try and finish top half which gives us a good base to build on over the summer. I would start by trying to sign Aaron Lewis to a long term contract. Not sure when his contract is up but he would be a big loss. It would also be great to get Adam Lewis signed should Liverpool release him

We can do it mathematically but I don't think it's going to happen (go up not down!). The Gas are an interesting example of a team that initially struggled but ended going up. However, their push for promotion started after 21 games and after 31 games (where we are now) they were 9th and we're 16th. Plus don't forget Scunthorpe absolutely threw the last game of the season by playing kids.