Re: Independent football regulator

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 12:54 pm Without a parachute payment then Clubs unfortunate enough to get relegated to non league could immediately end up in financial difficulties.

Also I’m not a fan of any Government involvement as where does it stop! It will only lead to additional levels of bureaucracy that in itself will come at a cost. Also why exclude rugby for arguments sake?
There are no parachute payments for clubs relegated from L2. Never have been.
Parachute payments are for clubs relegated from the Premier League & give those clubs a massive financial advantage over the rest of the Championship.
Getting rid of them is a great idea.

From the official EFL website :

At an EGM earlier today, Football League clubs voted to increase the parachute payments made to clubs relegated to the National League from the beginning of the 2016/17 season.

The two clubs relegated from Sky Bet League 2 currently receive 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment to League 2 clubs for one season, but from next season onwards will be paid:

- 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation.
- 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the second year following relegation (unless a club achieves promotion back to The Football League at the first attempt).

When was this changed if that is the case?

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 8:53 pm From the official EFL website :

At an EGM earlier today, Football League clubs voted to increase the parachute payments made to clubs relegated to the National League from the beginning of the 2016/17 season.

The two clubs relegated from Sky Bet League 2 currently receive 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment to League 2 clubs for one season, but from next season onwards will be paid:

- 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation.
- 50% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the second year following relegation (unless a club achieves promotion back to The Football League at the first attempt).

When was this changed if that is the case?
Fair enough. I stand corrected.

Jonesy3 wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 8:31 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 12:54 pm Without a parachute payment then Clubs unfortunate enough to get relegated to non league could immediately end up in financial difficulties.

Also I’m not a fan of any Government involvement as where does it stop! It will only lead to additional levels of bureaucracy that in itself will come at a cost. Also why exclude rugby for arguments sake?
Parachute payments are for clubs relegated from the Premier League & give those clubs a massive financial advantage over the rest of the Championship.
You are correct and getting rid of them would be a great idea. They prompt Championship clubs to spend beyond their means in the pursuit of the Premier league. It’s crazy.

There are no parachute payments to clubs dropping from L2. They get what is called solidarity payments. This is calculated as a percentage of the third year of the parachute payment that a club would get after dropping out of the Premier league. Currently for league two this is 3% of the third year of the parachute payment. Hope this makes sense!

pembsexile wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 9:35 pm

You are correct and getting rid of them would be a great idea. They prompt Championship clubs to spend beyond their means in the pursuit of the Premier league. It’s crazy.

There are no parachute payments to clubs dropping from L2. They get what is called solidarity payments. This is calculated as a percentage of the third year of the parachute payment that a club would get after dropping out of the Premier league. Currently for league two this is 3% of the third year of the parachute payment. Hope this makes sense!
That is contrary to Bangits helpful post where he reproduces the EFL rule which I repeat below:-

- 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: February 24th, 2023, 5:55 am
pembsexile wrote: February 23rd, 2023, 9:35 pm

That is contrary to Bangits helpful post where he reproduces the EFL rule which I repeat below:-

- 100% of the equivalent Basic Award payment made to League 2 clubs in the first year following relegation
Please rest assured that there are parachute payments, called solidarity payments to teams that drop out of the efl league 2. You can read an article called ‘A simple but fair redistribution of football revenue’ dated 29/10/2020. It’s on a site called theesk.org Wiki also gives a fuller explanation. I hope you find this a helpful post.

My own opinion - the parachute payments to Championship clubs should be scrapped and the money used shared out in a more proportionate way within the efl and the lower leagues.

Bangitintrnet wrote: February 24th, 2023, 9:46 am I found that very informative and interesting, however unlikely it is that the proposal will be adopted.
The pedantic side of me would also point out that the url doesn't include Wiki.
Glad you enjoyed the article, I did. I also agree that it (the proposal) may not be adopted. That would be a shame.

The pedant in me says this - the website is theesk.org
I deliberately did not out a full stop between the website name and the word Wiki as it may have put the site name to theesk.org. It is not. It is as I wrote it. Wikipedia is obviously completely separate. Now, there is pedantry for you!