TV rights

Looks like something quite big is going on behind the scenes with the transmission of live tv footage. The efl appear to be encouraging Sky and other broadcasters to bid for possibly 20 packages of live football entertainment. I just hope the money doesn’t stay in the Championship and gets shared out amongst L1 and L2 as well. It’s in the Daily Mail today.

Re: TV rights

We currently get £472,000 from the EFL each season from TV rights (we also get £430,000 solidarity payment from the Premier League). I can't see us generating either, let alone both from additional ifollow subscriptions alone. Especially if those sums increase under new deals.

My concern originates because the understanding is that there are 20 packages in negotiations. This could alter the game. Now, I may be wrong, but off the top of my head I know of at least six tv packages involving the Premiership. Two tv games on a Saturday, sometimes three on a Sunday and at least one on a Monday. The tv companies pay the Premiership big money for this and dictate what games they want.

Now, 20 packages in the efl? What could this mean? Are there 20 slots in the Championship, L1 and L2 available currently? I don’t think so. Will this mean they will alter fixture times to get the 20 slots? How this affects ifollow I have no idea but because of the revenue they bring in they will have a massive say. Whatever happens I just hope the money is shared proportionally and the Championship doesn’t get an unfair amount.

pembsexile wrote: March 2nd, 2023, 9:11 am My concern originates because the understanding is that there are 20 packages in negotiations. This could alter the game. Now, I may be wrong, but off the top of my head I know of at least six tv packages involving the Premiership. Two tv games on a Saturday, sometimes three on a Sunday and at least one on a Monday. The tv companies pay the Premiership big money for this and dictate what games they want.

Now, 20 packages in the efl? What could this mean? Are there 20 slots in the Championship, L1 and L2 available currently? I don’t think so. Will this mean they will alter fixture times to get the 20 slots? How this affects ifollow I have no idea but because of the revenue they bring in they will have a massive say. Whatever happens I just hope the money is shared proportionally and the Championship doesn’t get an unfair amount.
I don't think packages and slots necessarily correlate. For example, Amazon bought some packages for the Premier League and show matches on the same day pf the week and time as Sky, just on different weekends so the same slot but a different package.

I agree that the lower leagues could do with more money flowing down, but ultimately it will in the main just result in the same standard of player being paid more for providing the same poor quality unless there is more control over how that money is spent.

Re retaining our own TV rights, I think we’d end up short changed, and instead find that other clubs would end up with a larger cut. God forbid if that happened and Wr*xham come up. They seem to be on track for £750k pa in the NL alone…

There is a much bigger picture to be seen here. The efl say that there may be 20 slots/packages available. There aren’t at the moment. Will the efl make 20 slots/packages available? As I see it, the only way that they could do this is to reschedule the fixture lists for the Championship, L1, and L2. We could have fixtures throughout the week.

I suspect that the driver for this is club revenue from either Sky, BT and others including ifollow. I hope the fans have a say in this. I see some challenges and pushback ahead if they don’t.

pembsexile wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:21 am There is a much bigger picture to be seen here. The efl say that there may be 20 slots/packages available. There aren’t at the moment. Will the efl make 20 slots/packages available? As I see it, the only way that they could do this is to reschedule the fixture lists for the Championship, L1, and L2. We could have fixtures throughout the week.

I suspect that the driver for this is club revenue from either Sky, BT and others including ifollow. I hope the fans have a say in this. I see some challenges and pushback ahead if they don’t.
20 slots/packages could be very easy to do. One each for Championship, L1 and L2 on each of Saturdays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Boxing Day, Easter Monday, Last day of the season give you 18 Then add in Friday and Sunday for the Champioship and you have 20 packages covering days when fixtures are already scheduled. Not sure they would be able to sell all the L2 packages though.

Amberexile wrote: March 4th, 2023, 12:31 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 4th, 2023, 8:21 am There is a much bigger picture to be seen here. The efl say that there may be 20 slots/packages available. There aren’t at the moment. Will the efl make 20 slots/packages available? As I see it, the only way that they could do this is to reschedule the fixture lists for the Championship, L1, and L2. We could have fixtures throughout the week.

20 slots/packages could be very easy to do. One each for Championship, L1 and L2 on each of Saturdays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Boxing Day, Easter Monday, Last day of the season give you 18 Then add in Friday and Sunday for the Champioship and you have 20 packages covering days when fixtures are already scheduled. Not sure they would be able to sell all the L2 packages though.
I could well be wrong on this but my understanding of the packages in the Premiership is for days and times of the week. If a Boxing Day or Easter Monday game is transmitted, isn’t that part of the current package they use? What concerns me is that afaiaw there is a discrepancy between the 6 (approx) in the Premiership and the 20 currently being discussed for the efl. If this goes ahead, I think that fans may have to decide soon as to whether they can attend a Monday or a Thursday evening away game with the possibility of long travel that brings. As ever though, money talks and it will win. Whatever they decide I just hope there will be a fair shareout.

pembsexile wrote: March 4th, 2023, 12:50 pm
Amberexile wrote: March 4th, 2023, 12:31 pm

I could well be wrong on this but my understanding of the packages in the Premiership is for days and times of the week. If a Boxing Day or Easter Monday game is transmitted, isn’t that part of the current package they use? What concerns me is that afaiaw there is a discrepancy between the 6 (approx) in the Premiership and the 20 currently being discussed for the efl. If this goes ahead, I think that fans may have to decide soon as to whether they can attend a Monday or a Thursday evening away game with the possibility of long travel that brings. As ever though, money talks and it will win. Whatever they decide I just hope there will be a fair shareout.
In the Premier League boxing day is broadcast by Amazon Prime so must be a different package to the standard Sky offering

Edit: having looked ot up, Amazon bought a package of 20 Premier League games