Re: Exiles Grandstand - Grimsby v Newport County

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:08 am Tommy Tynan had every attribute going except that he lacked pace. Had he had pace he would have been an England international.

That said, in our season of triumph at Port Vale he headed wide in a one on zero. A miss for the ages.
Brendan, how dare you say that about Tommy. He was superb. The Port Vale incident was definitely the fault of the groundsman. As he was about to jump and head the ball, he was standing on an uneven lump on the pitch and lost his balance. That’s why he missed, no fault of his. I wasn’t there, but that is what I was told. I believe it. Someone else told me that he complained about the shorts he was given that day - they were too tight and effected his movement. The groundsman, the kit man, their fault, not Tommy’s.😀

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 9:45 am Strikers do have different styles, I remember Tynan used to stand waiting for a long punt over midfield, and just before it came into heading range, instead of challenging, would step towards the ball a couple of paces. The defender stood behind him, would follow him, only for Tynan to not challenge for the ball, simply spin around the defender, as the ball sailed over, and would run onto it and more often than not, score with the defender yards behind him.
Although not having the exceptional skills of Tynan, Willy Brown did something similar. He wasn't particularly tall and he would jump too early and entice his marker to jump as well. This eliminated his height disadvantage as they would both be on their way down when the ball arrived. Often County would then pick up the second ball.

pembsexile wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:35 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 8th, 2023, 10:08 am Tommy Tynan had every attribute going except that he lacked pace. Had he had pace he would have been an England international.

That said, in our season of triumph at Port Vale he headed wide in a one on zero. A miss for the ages.
Brendan, how dare you say that about Tommy. He was superb. The Port Vale incident was definitely the fault of the groundsman. As he was about to jump and head the ball, he was standing on an uneven lump on the pitch and lost his balance. That’s why he missed, no fault of his. I wasn’t there, but that is what I was told. I believe it. Someone else told me that he complained about the shorts he was given that day - they were too tight and effected his movement. The groundsman, the kit man, their fault, not Tommy’s.😀
Absolutely. Tommy Tynan never made a mistake when playing for the greatest team the world has ever seen.

As he did with his feet at Millwall in '83 when the game was still goalless after an hour. We lost 3-0. I blame the manager and board.

North London Exile wrote: March 8th, 2023, 11:39 am

As he did with his feet at Millwall in '83 when the game was still goalless after an hour. We lost 3-0. I blame the manager and board.
I believe I went to that game, my memory is of approaching the ground from an underpass, into what appeared to be a waste ground with burnt-out vehicles. It was actually the car park, but looked to me like a scene from a post apocalyptic movie. Away fans entered at a corner of the ground and were immediately "welcomed" by the caged in home fans. One in particular had both legs in plaster, and was on crutches, but rested on one and held the other upright, while shouting something like "come and join us over here you Welsh tossers"
Naturally I loved the place, and couldn't wait to return.