Re: Reply received.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:19 am

Events would suggest that the Board is already divided in respect of JP’s involvement, which I suspect is partly because of an inbuilt resistance to change, partly because they don’t want to see their present roles threatened, and partly because they are followers not leaders. For now, it looks as though the more proactive and visionary element hold sway and that is to be welcomed, but at the end of the day any decision on change will be that of all Trust members should a formal proposal ever see the light of day.
With the secret society that runs our Club I won’t be holding my breath.
I think any proactivity relates to the club being skint, in which case its actually reactivity.

They've all been ticking along whilst the Cup run money was rolling in and would probably still be doing so if the Cup runs and money had continued to flow.

Edit: just to add some context to the impact and significance of cup runs, this is an extract from a BBC report just after we lost to Spurs in the 2018 FA Cup replay:

Newport County expect their FA Cup run to add around £900,000 to their income for the season.
County held Tottenham to a 1-1 draw at Rodney Parade before losing 2-0 in the replay at Wembley in front of almost 40,000 fans.
County will earn over £1m this season thanks to TV revenues from their cup run, gate receipts and a 15% sell-on clause for former midfielder Lee Evans.
The Exiles reached the fourth round for the first time since 1979.
"We turnover £2.2m, the cup run will probably bring in around £900,000 for us," CEO Alex Tunbridge said on BT Sport's TV coverage of the game.
"That's nearly 50% of our overall turnover. The club has only been in the Football League for four years and the infrastructure is probably not where it needs to be compared to some other clubs."
Last edited by whoareya on March 10th, 2023, 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:50 am
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: March 10th, 2023, 10:19 am

Events would suggest that the Board is already divided in respect of JP’s involvement, which I suspect is partly because of an inbuilt resistance to change, partly because they don’t want to see their present roles threatened, and partly because they are followers not leaders. For now, it looks as though the more proactive and visionary element hold sway and that is to be welcomed, but at the end of the day any decision on change will be that of all Trust members should a formal proposal ever see the light of day.
With the secret society that runs our Club I won’t be holding my breath.
I think your analysis is right. Although I would hope that the conservative element who in my view have not been able to progress our club won't be able to hold sway. Sadly much as I would prefer the Trust model my view is that has been pretty much killed of by our failure to communicate and the reluctance of the board to invest in infrastructure.

Reading between the lines it seems to me that Jon Pratt has the expertise to bring in investment to develop our club. Clearly this will be resisted by those who are presently in control and their acolytes. No doubt with the false narrative that debt is bad.

Debt is fine if it's used to invest. Everyone who has ever taken out a bank loan to progress a career or a mortgage to buy a house knows that. And if that is Jon Pratt's intention then he will have my full support.
Everyone? perhaps if instead of a house you bought all those years ago, it was a 2 bed flat in a high rise block, with a high monthly service costs and a large bill on the kitchen table for cladding removal and replacement, your view may be different.

RP isn't a house, it has two users, one of which the Dragon's can only now plan for six years ahead.
So as a new investor in the Dragon's would you also want to purchase something that you only benefit from a third of the time but have to pay 50% of the large pitch maintenance and services costs? A 6 year mortgage on top for what exactly?

So what if you decide to split it with the other user, NCAFC, then it's 50% of the monthly mortgage costs and only 33% of the maintenance and service costs as the Dragon's only use the ground a third of the time that NCAFC do.

What if the Dragon's say you know what, we're the worst performing region why not stay as we are and invest in the squad instead now that the other regions are only subsidised at our level, we should progress............

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:10 am

Everyone? perhaps if instead of a house you bought all those years ago, it was a 2 bed flat in a high rise block, with a high monthly service costs and a large bill on the kitchen table for cladding removal and replacement, your view may be different.

RP isn't a house, it has two users, one of which the Dragon's can only now plan for six years ahead.
So as a new investor in the Dragon's would you also want to purchase something that you only benefit from a third of the time but have to pay 50% of the large pitch maintenance and services costs? A 6 year mortgage on top for what exactly?

So what if you decide to split it with the other user, NCAFC, then it's 50% of the monthly mortgage costs and only 33% of the maintenance and service costs as the Dragon's only use the ground a third of the time that NCAFC do.

What if the Dragon's say you know what, we're the worst performing region why not stay as we are and invest in the squad instead now that the other regions are only subsidised at our level, we should progress............
Well everyone bar you mate.

Then again everyone bar you has realized that you walked right into that one. :grin:

whoareya wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:09 am

I think any proactivity relates to the club being skint, in which case its actually reactivity.

They've all been ticking along whilst the Cup run money was rolling in and would probably still be doing so if the Cup runs and money had continued to flow.
My thoughts exactly. I would add that the Cup runs were always a temporary. Remember Colchester, Leeds and the Watney Cup? Sutton beating Coventry? Dickie Guy? (Leeds again) Yeovil at Sunderland? Walsall beating Arsenal in the 1930s? I could go on.

The sensible thing to do with an unexpected windfall is to invest it. In the knowledge that it won't happen year in year out.

Only complete idiots in charge of a lower League club would think great Cup runs would go on for ever.

🤔

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:20 am

Then again everyone bar you has realized that you walked right into that one. :grin:
And that's your answer to funding, oh dear oh dear.
Have you considered if it doesn't work for the Dragon's, why should it be different for NCAFC?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:23 pm

Have you considered if it doesn't work for the Dragon's, why should it be different for NCAFC?
When you walk into a sucker punch, you'd be better off keeping quiet for a bit.

Your view is valid. You have stated that you don't believe in debt. I would agree except where that debt is to invest. I would agree that we must be very careful of anybody wanting to come into our club.

But I am informed by people I trust that Jon Pratt is the real deal. If that is the case I have more confidence in him than I have in Shaun Johnson, Kevin Ward and Gavin Foxall.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 10th, 2023, 11:39 am

My thoughts exactly. I would add that the Cup runs were always a temporary. Remember Colchester, Leeds and the Watney Cup? Sutton beating Coventry? Dickie Guy? (Leeds again) Yeovil at Sunderland? Walsall beating Arsenal in the 1930s? I could go on.

The sensible thing to do with an unexpected windfall is to invest it. In the knowledge that it won't happen year in year out.

Only complete idiots in charge of a lower League club would think great Cup runs would go on for ever.

🤔
Invest in what precisely?

NCAFC have a pitch suitable, and a stand suitable for away fans, and Electronic advertising suitable to pay for the former. So similar to Exeter who had cup runs but also huge sums from player sales. Exeter also stayed in the second division for 18 years, with the same manager for the majority of that time.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:39 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:23 pm

When you walk into a sucker punch, you'd be better off keeping quiet for a bit.

Your view is valid. You have stated that you don't believe in debt. I would agree except where that debt is to invest. I would agree that we must be very careful of anybody wanting to come into our club.

But I am informed by people I trust that Jon Pratt is the real deal. If that is the case I have more confidence in him than I have in Shaun Johnson, Kevin Ward and Gavin Foxall.
Which suggests you don't have an open mind doesn't it?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:40 pm

🤔

NCAFC have a pitch suitable, and a stand suitable for away fans, and Electronic advertising suitable to pay for the former. So similar to Exeter who had cup runs but also huge sums from player sales. Exeter also stayed in the second division for 18 years, with the same manager for the majority of that time.
No we don't.

The WRU have all that. We don't own a single blade of grass.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:44 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:40 pm

🤔

No we don't.

The WRU have all that. We don't own a single blade of grass.
And what are the WRU going to do with it when we move into Stan's nice new shiny thing?

I can see why the Dragon's would absolutely love it, if we were suckered in to buying 100% of something that the Dragon's don't use much, and may in future use even less, leaving us with all the costs.

And all because we listened to someone who made a lot of money on his house purchase.................. Bloody Marvellous.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 1:52 pm Yes Brendan, you and your stupid idea of Newport County ever owning our own ground. Ridiculous :roll: :lol:
Ask Newport Rugby if it was a good idea to go £6 million in debt for the Bisley facilities that they had no need for? What did not worrying about the financial side lead to for the club that owned Rodney Parade?

What about Wasps taking out a massive debt to buy the Coventry Stadium, what do they now own?
Who plays there now?

I'm not saying NCAFC shouldn't take an interest in RP, but it should be in our interests to do so.
That's up to Jon Pratt to discuss isn't it, to work out whose interests it best serves. If it works out that it's in the best interests of WRU/Dragons if NCAFC purchase, then how does that work for NCAFC?

That of course all assumes that it is for sale, and or the Dragon's want to share a mortgage and the maintenance and service costs that NCAFC might not be able to afford going alone. And what if NCAFC owned the Stadium, had a small rent from the Dragon's, who then said we want to play elsewhere now? Where does that leave us?

35 years ago my wife and I had a ground floor flat in Pontcanna in Cardiff. It was the bottom of of a large house which had been converted into two flats. Both flats shared the land title, and the girl upstairs had a 200 year lease from the title for her half, same as us downstairs. So effectively we were her landlord, and she was ours. It meant that should problems arise between the parties both had some measure of control over the other.

If it can be financially worked out at RP, it could be that land ownership it is split down the half way line, with NCAFC owning one half and Dragon's the other, renting the remainder on match days.

It could be that the Dragon's don't want a half, but would go for a third. Whatever is the solution, it would need to work well for both parties.

This is what I hope is being discussed, and set against affordability and need, not.......... unless we own RP were fucked next season, as that is quite simply another lie.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 1:52 pm Yes Brendan, you and your stupid idea of Newport County ever owning our own ground. Ridiculous :roll: :lol:
Ask Newport Rugby if it was a good idea to go £6 million in debt for the Bisley facilities that they had no need for? What did not worrying about the financial side lead to for the club that owned Rodney Parade?

What about Wasps taking out a massive debt to buy the Coventry Stadium, what do they now own?
Who plays there now?

I'm not saying NCAFC shouldn't take an interest in RP, but it should be in our interests to do so.
That's up to Jon Pratt to discuss isn't it, to work out whose interests it best serves. If it works out that it's in the best interests of WRU/Dragons if NCAFC purchase, then how does that work for NCAFC?

That of course all assumes that it is for sale, and or the Dragon's want to share a mortgage and the maintenance and service costs that NCAFC might not be able to afford going alone. And what if NCAFC owned the Stadium, had a small rent from the Dragon's, who then said we want to play elsewhere now? Where does that leave us?

35 years ago my wife and I had a ground floor flat in Pontcanna in Cardiff. It was the bottom of of a large house which had been converted into two flats. Both flats shared the land title, and the girl upstairs had a 200 year lease from the title for her half, same as us downstairs. So effectively we were her landlord, and she was ours. It meant that should problems arise between the parties both had some measure of control over the other.

If it can be financially worked out at RP, it could be that land ownership it is split down the half way line, with NCAFC owning one half and Dragon's the other, renting the remainder on match days.

It could be that the Dragon's don't want a half, but would go for a third. Whatever is the solution, it would need to work well for both parties.

This is what I hope is being discussed, and set against affordability and need, not.......... unless we own RP were fucked next season, as that is quite simply another lie.

Instead of just asking Coventry or Newport RFC, ask the many, many other clubs that own their grounds. Just for a bit of balance like.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 10th, 2023, 2:53 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 10th, 2023, 2:37 pm

Who plays there now?

Instead of just asking Coventry or Newport RFC, ask the many, many other clubs that own their grounds. Just for a bit of balance like.
Do they, or do the banks own them?

Good to see, that you're not interested in the financial balance, only a piece of paper.