Gary Lineker.

Typical gutless BBC.

If he were a news reporter then clearly he should not give his political opinions. But he isn't. If he were to give his political opinions when presenting Match of the Day, he should be fired. But he didn't. And trying to silence people expressing opinions is wrong.

Just for clarity, I agree with Lineker but that is not the point. The late Cilla Black was a great supporter of Margaret Thatcher. That didn't stop my guilty pleasure of watching blind date. And defending her right to say in a private capacity anything other than hate speech she wanted to say.

Re: Gary Lineker.

Yes totally agree Stan. The present Conservative Party have politicised the BBC. My morning news invariably comes from the Today program which now seems to resemble the Margaret Thatcher Home for right wing sympathisers though they do try to keep up the pretence of impartiality until you notice the interruption rate of Tories and Labour interviewees. Then if you do a bit of research into the personnel on the news programs, you’ll find some interesting
histories and relationships eg Nick Robinson was apparently chairman of the Conservative Party youth group.
Keep up the good work Gary, you’re completely entitled to your opinion.

Free beer wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:25 pm I agree with Lineker and hope that he continues his work on the BBC and Twitter.
I did hear that the BBC are keen on Peter Shilton to replace him on Match of the Day to bring some objectivity and analysis.
I don't know if you remember the old joke I think in When Saturday Comes.

Things you'd never here in a Match of the Day commentary.

'And Shilton raises his hand to acknowledge to his team mates that he was at fault for that goal'.

Copied from elsewhere, and spot on IMO

Tories - tough on:
Nurses
Railway workers
Teachers
Refugees
Small boats
Climate change protesters
Match or the Day presenters

Soft on:
Sex pests in their own party
Dodgy PPE contracts
Non Doms
Energy companies profits
Sewage dumpers
Ex-PM’s found guilty of breaking the law and lying about it

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 8th, 2023, 2:46 pm Copied from elsewhere, and spot on IMO

Tories - tough on:
Nurses
Railway workers
Teachers
Refugees
Small boats
Climate change protesters
Match or the Day presenters

Soft on:
Sex pests in their own party
Dodgy PPE contracts
Non Doms
Energy companies profits
Sewage dumpers
Ex-PM’s found guilty of breaking the law and lying about it
And let's not forget the E.C.B. while we're at it

Whether you agree with Gary Linacre or not, I suspect that he could be in a bit of trouble with the BBC on this one. The BBC have ‘impartiality guidelines’ when using social media. These guidelines apply to members of staff and presenters. In the past, when GL has been criticised for his views on social media, they defended him by saying he was a freelance broadcaster. Will that wash again? Remember he has the PM and Home Secretary against him. Rishi Sunak said this morning in the HOC that Sir Kier Starmer was a lefty lawyer so he must feel confident in pursuing the migrant issue. He is playing to the Tory gallery and disaffected members of the public there.

I think the Beeb will come under pressure from the Tories (particularly JRM and his cohorts) and it is a developing story that has legs. I admire his statement that he is speaking for those that don’t have a voice. My money is on him being moved out.

pembsexile wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:03 pm Whether you agree with Gary Linacre or not, I suspect that he could be in a bit of trouble with the BBC on this one. The BBC have ‘impartiality guidelines’ when using social media. These guidelines apply to members of staff and presenters. In the past, when GL has been criticised for his views on social media, they defended him by saying he was a freelance broadcaster. Will that wash again? Remember he has the PM and Home Secretary against him. Rishi Sunak said this morning in the HOC that Sir Kier Starmer was a lefty lawyer so he must feel confident in pursuing the migrant issue. He is playing to the Tory gallery and disaffected members of the public there.

I think the Beeb will come under pressure from the Tories (particularly JRM and his cohorts) and it is a developing story that has legs. I admire his statement that he is speaking for those that don’t have a voice. My money is on him being moved out.
Nothing would surprise me at the BBC which has been infiltrated by the Conservative Party. Tragic that the Corporation that I have enjoyed since a small child both for amusement and education has been politicised by the Tories. Gary Lineker is entitled to his views as long as he doesn’t use the BBC to broadcast them. Meanwhile it’s all ok for the chairman to be Johnson‘s loan facilitator. Corrupt like all the establishment.
Well done Gary for having the guts to speak up for people with views like mine as well as of course the poor immigrants who far from exclusively are criminals, rapists and spongers. Most just want to work and achieve a better life. Just like the Tories to pick on immigrants instead of improving the processing of applications. These poor unfortunates genuinely have a miserable life and seek a better one, improved processing would soon weed out the undeserving. As the poet had it in “ Pity the poor immigrant “ who
“ manifestly hates his life and likewise fears his death “
Let’s have a bit of humanity eh?

Some interesting comments above and I share the sentiments expressed. I'd like to add to Low and Hard's Claim that The present Conservative Party have politicised the BBC." It' is the case that fellow thinkers, supporters and funders of the Conservative Party have been appointed to positions at the top of the BBC Board of Governors. However, the BBC has always been politicised. It is the State broadcasting service. Almost a century ago it supported the government of the day against the trade unions during the General Strike. During the dispute in the coal industry in the 1980s it "accidentally" broadcast film showing the riot police being attacked by pickets near Orgreave coking plant, when in fact it was the police who attacked first. Again, the BBC is the State broadcaster. It is is the UK's equivalent of Tass and Press TV. We should not be surprised that it is angered by one of it's presenters attacking current government policy.
I suppose Low and Hard used the term politicised with regard to party politics. Given the BBC's coverage of the 2019 election, I have to agree with him. especially since I have watched Al Jazeera's "The Labour Files". Clearly nowt to do with football, but if you haven't done so, spend a few minutes online and watch this excellently informative four part film.

lowandhard wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:28 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:03 pm Whether you agree with Gary Linacre or not, I suspect that he could be in a bit of trouble with the BBC on this one. The BBC have ‘impartiality guidelines’ when using social media. These guidelines apply to members of staff and presenters. In the past, when GL has been criticised for his views on social media, they defended him by saying he was a freelance broadcaster. Will that wash again? Remember he has the PM and Home Secretary against him. Rishi Sunak said this morning in the HOC that Sir Kier Starmer was a lefty lawyer so he must feel confident in pursuing the migrant issue. He is playing to the Tory gallery and disaffected members of the public there.

Nothing would surprise me at the BBC which has been infiltrated by the Conservative Party. Tragic that the Corporation that I have enjoyed since a small child both for amusement and education has been politicised by the Tories. Gary Lineker is entitled to his views as long as he doesn’t use the BBC to broadcast them. Meanwhile it’s all ok for the chairman to be Johnson‘s loan facilitator. Corrupt like all the establishment.
Well done Gary for having the guts to speak up for people with views like mine as well as of course the poor immigrants who far from exclusively are criminals, rapists and spongers. Most just want to work and achieve a better life. Just like the Tories to pick on immigrants instead of improving the processing of applications. These poor unfortunates genuinely have a miserable life and seek a better one, improved processing would soon weed out the undeserving. As the poet had it in “ Pity the poor immigrant “ who
“ manifestly hates his life and likewise fears his death “
Let’s have a bit of humanity eh?
Well said that man.

IMO the Tories have lost a lot of things to blame for their own poor performance, the Last Labour Government, the Europeans, Irish Border, Covid etc. So the next thing on the agenda is the European Court of Justice. To get there, they have to turn them into the baddies, that stop GB towing small boats on treacherous seas back to Europe.

The fact that the UK takes the smallest share of asylum seekers than everyone else in Europe seems lost on them. As does stopping immigration generally, as that is only going to knacker up the Health and associated care service that helps reduce bed blocking, and provides the long term solution etc.
Last edited by Bangitintrnet on March 8th, 2023, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:53 pm I’m a believer in free speech but not in Gary Lineker who seeks to grab headlines when it suits him. I certainly don’t recall him complaining about the slavery and labour exploitation issues in Qatar whilst out there lining his pockets on World Cup duties.
That's the really important point. It is quite proper that along with greedom of speech there is also accountability.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 8th, 2023, 4:44 pm
Taunton Iron Cider wrote: March 8th, 2023, 3:53 pm I’m a believer in free speech but not in Gary Lineker who seeks to grab headlines when it suits him. I certainly don’t recall him complaining about the slavery and labour exploitation issues in Qatar whilst out there lining his pockets on World Cup duties.
That's the really important point. It is quite proper that along with greedom of speech there is also accountability.
Therein lies the problem Brendan. The BBC are beholden to the government. He who pays the piper. They are accountable to us, the licence payers, tax payers and viewers/listeners. I suspect the BBC will possibly cave in to the Tory calls for his head. That would be wrong. I also suspect that Gary Linacre has given a golden bullet to the people inside the organisation who want him removed. Gutless BBC indeed.

In my opinion what the BBC really need is a truly independent Chair, not someone who when the previous incumbent time is up, their replacement is appointed by the government of the day. If it wasn’t so important, you wouldn’t have the Tory grandees making inroads into the organisation and politicising it.