Re: Colchester fans chanting Justin Edinburgh abuse.

Agreed. You’d have to hope (expect even) that Essex Police will be all over this and be amongst their fans before, during and after the game to identify any fans still changing this horrendous braindead song when we play them on 1/4, if not I fear someone’s going to get hurt.

Hopefully the publicity and statements coming from CUFC will have shamed the numbskulls involved into silence or, better still, staying away.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 21st, 2023, 8:24 am
Tony Soprano wrote: March 20th, 2023, 10:16 am Pure scum!
Not condoning it but it’s the sort of thing that if it was chanted in a pub would be “nick heads eh?” and move-on we do tend towards hyperbole in football.
Unfortunately there is an element of truth in this. What is said in private and in small groups is not what is said within the wider society and in the media. A classic example of this is the tragic case of the woman who was abducted and murdered by a Policeman recently. His nickname within the force was the rapist. How do authorities allow this thing to continue. Also, Police officers wotsapping each other with photos at a murder scene. Why do they think they can get away with it? Answer, because they think they can.

This disparity is alarming. I think the only answer is education and calling out. I don’t really know what the JE chant issue comes under. It’s not racist, sexist or promoting violence but it needs to be dealt with.

There is a fine line between what is acceptable to some and not acceptable to others. There is a time and a place for insults and p!ss taking but showing disrespect to the dead in a public arena is pathetic and morally wrong. Publicly shaming them would be a good start.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 21st, 2023, 9:50 am
Bonson&Hunt wrote: March 21st, 2023, 9:35 am On the Police issue, I've heard them say we'll root them out but why even let them in? Recruitment process needs to tighten.
I would guess that rapists etc don't mention the fact in their cv and interview.....

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... sey-report
There is something called the Police National Computer. (PNC) It carries 3 points on your on your driving license, your conviction for murder and everything in between. Further to this records are kept of investigations, which result in no further action and acquittals at trial.

In addition to this it is common these days for potential employers to check social media accounts. Not only that but there should be an interview process which should be able to root out most unsuitable candidates.

This can't prevent the occasional thug getting through but it can stop the vast majority. Further if thugs in uniform are in a tiny minority they are far less powerful than if they are in groups.

There are many decent police officers. I have met many. They hold high standards of integrity and some are saints. However there is a 'canteen culture'. There are far too many police officers who should not be in the job. The excuse of 'a few bad apples' is not going to wash.

Personally one reform I'd make. I wouldn't allow people to join the police until the age of 25.