Re: Gog signings.

At the end of the season, I will have a small amount of sympathy for the (unknown) team that would have been promoted had Wrexham not had this "unfair" advantage. But we have enough problems of our own to concentrate on so won't get too hung up on what others do

CathedralCounty wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:53 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
Rugby - nuff said.
Rugby ???

Have you seen how many watch Newport and/or the Dragons ....?

I can say with confidence that its far less than turn up to watch our home games at present, so IMO that's not an excuse.

I know of the media love in with our six fingers friends and the fact that they are doing well in NON LEAGUE but the facts are that they average twice as many fans as us if not more. Yes our attendances are going up year on year but are we as a club doing enough to get the next generation of fans through the turnstiles ?
As some may say we have Cardiff/ Bristol clubs , Swansea to compete within the area but Wrexham have many more clubs than we have in their local area but still manage to attract better support. Yes we were in ( as some say ) non league wilderness for years but we have been an established League 2 side now for 9 years ..
How does our crowds compare with clubs in League 2 ?

Based on the last 10 years
Mansfield .....population 108000 average crowds 4000
Hartlepool ...population 92,000 average crowds 4,500
Grimsby ...population 85,000 average crowds 4,500 ( 6000 this season as they are doing well)
NEWPORT population 159,000 average crowd 4,000

All teams that have had spells in Non League in the last decade

Crewe have a population of 55,000 and have an average crowd of 4000...I know they have been a league one club during the same time but are a similar size club to us

Are we doing all that we can to attract new fans ????

neilcork68 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 11:24 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 28th, 2023, 8:53 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
Rugby - nuff said.
Rugby ???

I can say with confidence that its far less than turn up to watch our home games at present, so IMO that's not an excuse.

I know of the media love in with our six fingers friends and the fact that they are doing well in NON LEAGUE but the facts are that they average twice as many fans as us if not more. Yes our attendances are going up year on year but are we as a club doing enough to get the next generation of fans through the turnstiles ?
As some may say we have Cardiff/ Bristol clubs , Swansea to compete within the area but Wrexham have many more clubs than we have in their local area but still manage to attract better support. Yes we were in ( as some say ) non league wilderness for years but we have been an established League 2 side now for 9 years ..
How does our crowds compare with clubs in League 2 ?

Hartlepool ...population 92,000 average crowds 4,500
Grimsby ...population 85,000 average crowds 4,500 ( 6000 this season as they are doing well)

All teams that have had spells in Non League in the last decade

Crewe have a population of 55,000 and have an average crowd of 4000...I know they have been a league one club during the same time but are a similar size club to us

Are we doing all that we can to attract new fans ????
Rugby ???

not saying all those who don't watch us regularly attend the Dragons/Newport/other BUT that we have a lot of rugby fans who may not like/deign to attend 'soccer' - most of the midlands and much of the north have neither professional Union or League fans in the area.

Are we doing all that we can to attract new fans ???? probably not

Hartlepool ...population 92,000 average crowds 4,500 - in a 'football hotbed' area
Grimsby ...population 85,000 average crowds 4,500 ( 6000 this season as they are doing well) - isolated and no major competition for crowds on doorstep
- only Newport spent 15+ years in the lower reaches of non league and lost 1 or even 2 generations of fans

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 12:55 pm Hi Neil,

You're quite right in my opinion. I would add if we spent more time on focusing on what we should be doing and stop wasting time focusing on finding excuses for failure we might start to reach our full potential.
For me they are not necessarily 'excuses' but a context - semantics perhaps but a subtle difference nevertheless.

You're quite right in my opinion. I would add if we spent more time on focusing on what we should be doing and stop wasting time focusing on finding excuses for failure we might start to reach our full potential.
Oh for goodness sake Brendan who is making excuses and who says we're a failure. 34 years ago we started planning on how we could get back into the football league. We had to start in the 9th tier - the Hellenic league. We had to play our home games at Moreton and then at Gloucester. We had a few hundred attending matches. We won 5 promotions ( 6 if you include qualifying for the Conference south). We've been to Wembley 5 times including 3 play off finals. We've beaten a premier league club that had recently won the Premier league. We held Spurs to a draw. It took Man City nearly an hour to score against us. We took Newcastle and Brighton to extra time. We beat several championship teams. Is that failure?

I will tell you what failure is. Look at all the former EFL clubs wallowing in the National League or lower. Look at Wrexham. How long have they been a 5th tier side? It only took the County 3 seasons to get promoted, despite having to change from semi professional, unlike Wrexham.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:45 pm

For me they are not necessarily 'excuses' but a context - semantics perhaps but a subtle difference nevertheless.
I agree it is semantics, but yet again facts, reality and/or context can all be framed as excuses if you're determined to.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 3:01 pm Wimbledon spent 80 years as a non league club. They were elected to Division 4 in 1977. In 1988 they finished 6th in Division 1 and won the FA Cup.

Amazing what you can do with a bit of self belief.
5 years later they recorded the lowest-ever Premier League attendance and just over a decade later no longer existed. Many will argue that they were unsustainable and didn't have the supporter base to support themselves.

Blackandamber wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Oh for goodness sake Brendan who is making excuses and who says we're a failure. 34 years ago we started planning on how we could get back into the football league. We had to start in the 9th tier - the Hellenic league. We had to play our home games at Moreton and then at Gloucester. We had a few hundred attending matches. We won 5 promotions ( 6 if you include qualifying for the Conference south). We've been to Wembley 5 times including 3 play off finals. We've beaten a premier league club that had recently won the Premier league. We held Spurs to a draw. It took Man City nearly an hour to score against us. We took Newcastle and Brighton to extra time. We beat several championship teams. Is that failure?

I will tell you what failure is. Look at all the former EFL clubs wallowing in the National League or lower. Look at Wrexham. How long have they been a 5th tier side? It only took the County 3 seasons to get promoted, despite having to change from semi professional, unlike Wrexham.
Firstly the Hellenic League was tier 8. Secondly Newport is a far bigger town than most of our competitors in League 2. We rent a stadium and are at the mercy of the WRU. And had there been three down from League 2 we would have been relegated.

The Cup runs were good. But week in week out we play League fixtures. Newport should be playing teams which represent areas of similar size to Newport. Newport is as big or bigger than Preston, Blackburn, Ipswich, Burnley, Norwich, Rotherham, Barnsley, West Bromwich, Swansea, I could go on.

We shouldn't be making excuses as to why it's okay to be in League 2. It isn't. If we say we lost a generation of football supporters, how come Wycombe, Morecombe, Fleetwood, Burton, managed to get out of League 2? If it's social deprivation, just look at how many teams play in areas of the country that have suffered just as much as Newport.

Failure is relative. Harrogate in League 2 is achieving their potential. But for Newport we really do need to aim higher.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 6:18 pm
Blackandamber wrote: March 28th, 2023, 4:55 pm

Firstly the Hellenic League was tier 8. Secondly Newport is a far bigger town than most of our competitors in League 2. We rent a stadium and are at the mercy of the WRU. And had there been three down from League 2 we would have been relegated.

The Cup runs were good. But week in week out we play League fixtures. Newport should be playing teams which represent areas of similar size to Newport. Newport is as big or bigger than Preston, Blackburn, Ipswich, Burnley, Norwich, Rotherham, Barnsley, West Bromwich, Swansea, I could go on.

We shouldn't be making excuses as to why it's okay to be in League 2. It isn't. If we say we lost a generation of football supporters, how come Wycombe, Morecombe, Fleetwood, Burton, managed to get out of League 2? If it's social deprivation, just look at how many teams play in areas of the country that have suffered just as much as Newport.

Failure is relative. Harrogate in League 2 is achieving their potential. But for Newport we really do need to aim higher.
The Hellenic league was tier 8 but with the introduction of the Blue Square South in 2004 is now level 9. NCAFC had to finish in the top 12 teams to stay at level 6 or be demoted back to level 7.

Regarding being at the mercy of the WRU that simply isn't reality. Virtually all commercial property is licensed. Stan dreams of Jon Pratt purchasing something that simply isn't for sale. He has a background in commercial property and it will be fascinating to see if his take is any different to all the other chairman of Newport County. If Jon Pratt does become chairman, it will also be interesting to watch Stans love in with him wane over time......

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:03 pm

The Hellenic league was tier 8 but with the introduction of the Blue Square South in 2004 is now level 9. NCAFC had to finish in the top 12 teams to stay at level 6 or be demoted back to level 7.

Regarding being at the mercy of the WRU that simply isn't reality. Virtually all commercial property is licensed. Stan dreams of Jon Pratt purchasing something that simply isn't for sale. He has a background in commercial property and it will be fascinating to see if his take is any different to all the other chairman of Newport County. If Jon Pratt does become chairman, it will also be interesting to watch Stans love in with him wane over time......

Interesting.

Blackandamber disagrees with me. He posts up what he thinks is the case. And gives his reasons for doing so. That's the type of debate which makes interesting reading on this board.

Bangitinthenet meanwhile posts up what he says I think. Which is not accurate. And then goes on to state what I will say. Which is both boorish and boring.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:30 pm

Interesting.

Blackandamber disagrees with me. He posts up what he thinks is the case. And gives his reasons for doing so. That's the type of debate which makes interesting reading on this board.

Bangitinthenet meanwhile posts up what he says I think. Which is not accurate. And then goes on to state what I will say. Which is both boorish and boring.

That’s because Bangit is a complete *******

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 7:30 pm

Interesting.

Where have I posted what you will say? All I have said is let's wait to see what a commercial property expert says. That predicabley leads to you not actually saying anything, purely attack, which is your only mode.......