Re: Gog signings.

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:54 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:31 am Football demographics is not an exact science. There are too many variables. The size of the city/town is just one of the variables. We also need to state whether it includes the borough, the urban area, the locality of other successful clubs etc. The main question should be the club ‘potential grab area’. How many people in a certain radius of the club could/would attend a football game. Even that is not exact. How far do you extend the radius? In general terms population will have an effect on attendance but there are so many other variables that it can’t be seen on its own.
The census information shows that Newport under 15 year age group has grown by 10%, it is likely County support will benefit from this in time, but at present, it is just another cost factor for young parents.

When we played Wrexham at Wembley they had been non league for a few years, for us we had lost generations of supporters who chose not to follow in non league for 25 years.
This last sentence is always the key point that people miss when comparing us to other clubs, cities etc. this is a club that for all intents and purposes started from scratch (worse than scratch, really) 30 years ago, and most of the population of Newport forgot we existed until less than ten years ago. Not to mention the generation or two of potential fans lost in the intervening years.

All that considered , the club has done incredibly well to get where we are. How many clubs formed in 1989 or younger are in the football league? Not many I suspect. Wimbledon comes to mind, whose situation is similar to ours but I suspect had a far bigger fan base to begin with.

rncfc wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:18 am
G Guest wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
The population of the County Borough of Wrexham is 136,000 compared to Newport's 160,000. So hardly 6 times bigger!
Is that right?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world ... population
Both population figures are from the most recent census as reported by Wickipedia. I realise that half of the 136,000 who live in the Borough of Wrexham do not seem to live in houses but are probably standing out in the open all the time.

Sadly I think once they come up they'll be on an upward trajectory to probably being a solid Championship side like the Jacks and Cardiff. They've got a great ground which is being made even larger and they can chuck unlimited funds at the project. Unlike Salford and FGR they have a bit of history and identity to attract all the best talent and I'm sure they'll cherry pick from the EFL.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
Rugby - nuff said.

halfmoon wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:54 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:31 am Football demographics is not an exact science. There are too many variables. The size of the city/town is just one of the variables. We also need to state whether it includes the borough, the urban area, the locality of other successful clubs etc. The main question should be the club ‘potential grab area’. How many people in a certain radius of the club could/would attend a football game. Even that is not exact. How far do you extend the radius? In general terms population will have an effect on attendance but there are so many other variables that it can’t be seen on its own.
The census information shows that Newport under 15 year age group has grown by 10%, it is likely County support will benefit from this in time, but at present, it is just another cost factor for young parents.

When we played Wrexham at Wembley they had been non league for a few years, for us we had lost generations of supporters who chose not to follow in non league for 25 years.
This last sentence is always the key point that people miss when comparing us to other clubs, cities etc. this is a club that for all intents and purposes started from scratch (worse than scratch, really) 30 years ago, and most of the population of Newport forgot we existed until less than ten years ago. Not to mention the generation or two of potential fans lost in the intervening years.

All that considered , the club has done incredibly well to get where we are. How many clubs formed in 1989 or younger are in the football league? Not many I suspect. Wimbledon comes to mind, whose situation is similar to ours but I suspect had a far bigger fan base to begin with.
Great points (Wimbledon don’t compare to us as they are based in a very affluent area and are both an uber hipster club and rather smug with it) I remember as a mid-late teen, and admittedly a bit of a football saddo, going on my own to watch random clubs like Bristol city and with my mates on occasion dare I admit it to Ninians Park! (disclaimer I had a county season ticket throughout that time) but doing so noticed a lot of people on the train from Newport going across to support Cardiff/Swansea/Bristol - so totally correct we lost 100's if not 1000's of fans and their children – if it weren’t for the FA cup runs and the ‘great escape’ I’d suggest we would have a far lower profile than we do no within the area.

In fairness I don’t think we are anymore/less susceptible to the slings and arrows than many other lower league clubs especially those with more ’glamorous’ neighbors a short hop away and with Rugby Union/League to compete with – we are if you like a Rochdale of this world and as much as it grates – even before the Hollywood guff, Wrexham were a far bigger club than us.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:05 am
halfmoon wrote: March 24th, 2023, 5:54 pm

Great points (Wimbledon don’t compare to us as they are based in a very affluent area and are both an uber hipster club and rather smug with it) I remember as a mid-late teen, and admittedly a bit of a football saddo, going on my own to watch random clubs like Bristol city and with my mates on occasion dare I admit it to Ninians Park! (disclaimer I had a county season ticket throughout that time) but doing so noticed a lot of people on the train from Newport going across to support Cardiff/Swansea/Bristol - so totally correct we lost 100's if not 1000's of fans and their children – if it weren’t for the FA cup runs and the ‘great escape’ I’d suggest we would have a far lower profile than we do no within the area.

In fairness I don’t think we are anymore/less susceptible to the slings and arrows than many other lower league clubs especially those with more ’glamorous’ neighbors a short hop away and with Rugby Union/League to compete with – we are if you like a Rochdale of this world and as much as it grates – even before the Hollywood guff, Wrexham were a far bigger club than us.
Good realistic post.

Exile 1976 wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:06 am Wrexham will play Man Utd in a friendly in San Diego this summer
Think I've said before but do feel County could use social media to launch a cheeky campaign - 'forget Hollywood this is REAL football' - #realfootballnewport a few simple words which could go 'viral' and is a cheeky way of turning the Hollywood thing on its head - easy for me to say but not beyond the wit of someone from the club surely? its a bit like Newport as a city trying to compete with Cardiff (we can't) use what marks you out not try to compete - out Beta the Alpha if you like.

CathedralCounty wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:35 am

Newport as a city trying to compete with Cardiff (we can't) use what marks you out not try to compete - out Beta the Alpha if you like.
I go to a gym in Carrick on Shannon. On the wall is a man standing on the top of a mountain, the words underneath, which I think are true, read 'You can if you say you can'.

Sadly the opposite is also true, you can't if you say you can't.

Think I've said before but do feel County could use social media to launch a cheeky campaign - 'forget Hollywood this is REAL football' - #realfootballnewport a few simple words which could go 'viral' and is a cheeky way of turning the Hollywood thing on its head
I think that would work, along the lines of the Goldie Lookin Chain song - You're Not From Newport - which took the piss out of the previous original Newport - State Of Mind song........

Anyone know anyone in GLC ????

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 28th, 2023, 9:50 am

Newport as a city trying to compete with Cardiff (we can't) use what marks you out not try to compete - out Beta the Alpha if you like.
I go to a gym in Carrick on Shannon. On the wall is a man standing on the top of a mountain, the words underneath, which I think are true, read 'You can if you say you can'.

Sadly the opposite is also true, you can't if you say you can't.
Are you going to use that line trying to get 600 million dollars out of the bank?