Re: Gog signings.

Kevinmoorefellover wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 7:08 pm If Wrexham come up does that mean one of next season’s promotion spots from League 2 is already taken? They currently have a squad capable of competing at the top end of League 2 and are likely to strengthen further over the summer.
Yeh it's a good point. They'll be subject to 'FFP' but then so are Man City....

Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:50 pm Just signed Ben Foster and also Billy Waters from Barrow.

I'm looking forward to playing them twice next season but the media love-in is going to be absolutely unbearable.
I'm sure the 'media love-in' will be repetitive and sychophantical, however we should find it bearable as a full away end at RP, and even additional home support will probably put 10s of thousands into our coffers.

If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
No one is putting forward excuses Stan, but why are Liverpool more successful than Everton or Bristol City than Bristol Rovers? It's because the fan base is bigger and that's because they have had prolonged success over generations. You have to breed support within family or groups. If you attended matches at Rodney Parade you would notice that the support base is generally getting younger. To me that is because of our youth programs with hundreds participating each week and lots eventually leaving the teams to become supporters. In turn their offspring will be more likely to follow on and become supporters. Success breeds fans, but in our case it is the success of the youth programs that are producing the goods, it's a slow process, but can only grow.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:09 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:50 pm Just signed Ben Foster and also Billy Waters from Barrow.

I'm looking forward to playing them twice next season but the media love-in is going to be absolutely unbearable.
I'm sure the 'media love-in' will be repetitive and sychophantical, however we should find it bearable as a full away end at RP, and even additional home support will probably put 10s of thousands into our coffers.
Spot on OC. It looks like we will (fingers crossed) be safe, and it also looks like they will probably get the automatic promotion spot. That means two games against them next year. Like you, I can’t stand the media love in with them, but their promotion may be worth it for us to get lots of fans through the gate. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me. I just hope they don’t call it the L2 Welsh derby. It won’t be.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

The population of the County Borough of Wrexham is 136,000 compared to Newport's 160,000. So hardly 6 times bigger!

G Guest wrote:

The population of the County Borough of Wrexham is 136,000 compared to Newport's 160,000. So hardly 6 times bigger!
Is that right?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world ... population

Football demographics is not an exact science. There are too many variables. The size of the city/town is just one of the variables. We also need to state whether it includes the borough, the urban area, the locality of other successful clubs etc. The main question should be the club ‘potential grab area’. How many people in a certain radius of the club could/would attend a football game. Even that is not exact. How far do you extend the radius? In general terms population will have an effect on attendance but there are so many other variables that it can’t be seen on its own.

rncfc wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:18 am
G Guest wrote:

Is that right?

https://worldpopulationreview.com/world ... population
https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/c ... W06000022/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/c ... W06000006/

pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:38 am

Spot on OC. It looks like we will (fingers crossed) be safe, and it also looks like they will probably get the automatic promotion spot. That means two games against them next year. Like you, I can’t stand the media love in with them, but their promotion may be worth it for us to get lots of fans through the gate. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me. I just hope they don’t call it the L2 Welsh derby. It won’t be.
Why won't it be?

Marky wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:03 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:38 am

Why won't it be?
The same reason that Newcastle / Southampton aren't English darbies