Re: Gog signings.

daftasfxxx wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:17 pm
Marky wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:03 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:38 am
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 8:09 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:50 pm Just signed Ben Foster and also Billy Waters from Barrow.

I'm looking forward to playing them twice next season but the media love-in is going to be absolutely unbearable.
I'm sure the 'media love-in' will be repetitive and sychophantical, however we should find it bearable as a full away end at RP, and even additional home support will probably put 10s of thousands into our coffers.
Spot on OC. It looks like we will (fingers crossed) be safe, and it also looks like they will probably get the automatic promotion spot. That means two games against them next year. Like you, I can’t stand the media love in with them, but their promotion may be worth it for us to get lots of fans through the gate. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me. I just hope they don’t call it the L2 Welsh derby. It won’t be.
Why won't it be?
The same reason that Newcastle / Southampton aren't English darbies
If they were the only English teams in the league it would be.

G Guest wrote: March 24th, 2023, 10:03 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 9:06 am If you include Cwmbran etc the city of Newport in either six times larger than Wrexham, if you only include Newport we have a population of only two and a half times that of Wrexham.

They took more than us to Wembley and the hinterland of north Wales traditionally supports Everton. So please spare the excuses.
Banter aside the people of Wrexham are no different from the people of Newport. We do need to ask, why do others do so much with so little, or better still why do we do so little with so much?
The population of the County Borough of Wrexham is 136,000 compared to Newport's 160,000. So hardly 6 times bigger!
The built up area of Newport is 160,000. The built up area of Wrexham is 62,000. The Newport connurbation is 308,000 if you include Cwmbran, Risca etc.

You are not comparing like with like. By all means bring in Broughton and Bangor on Dee. Which are to Wrexham as Pontypool or Brynmawr are to Newport.

Not to mention on any given Saturday the coaches from north Wales lined up for either Liverpool and Everton.

Marky wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:24 pm
Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 23rd, 2023, 6:50 pm Just signed Ben Foster and also Billy Waters from Barrow.

I'm looking forward to playing them twice next season but the media love-in is going to be absolutely unbearable.
I'm sure the 'media love-in' will be repetitive and sychophantical, however we should find it bearable as a full away end at RP, and even additional home support will probably put 10s of thousands into our coffers.
Spot on OC. It looks like we will (fingers crossed) be safe, and it also looks like they will probably get the automatic promotion spot. That means two games against them next year. Like you, I can’t stand the media love in with them, but their promotion may be worth it for us to get lots of fans through the gate. The advantages outweigh the disadvantages for me. I just hope they don’t call it the L2 Welsh derby. It won’t be.
Why won't it be?
It definitely wouldn't

daftasfxxx wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:35 pm

Why won't it be?
It definitely wouldn't
Derby does not mean local derby.

pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 11:31 am Football demographics is not an exact science. There are too many variables. The size of the city/town is just one of the variables. We also need to state whether it includes the borough, the urban area, the locality of other successful clubs etc. The main question should be the club ‘potential grab area’. How many people in a certain radius of the club could/would attend a football game. Even that is not exact. How far do you extend the radius? In general terms population will have an effect on attendance but there are so many other variables that it can’t be seen on its own.
The census information shows that Newport under 15 year age group has grown by 10%, it is likely County support will benefit from this in time, but at present, it is just another cost factor for young parents.

When we played Wrexham at Wembley they had been non league for a few years, for us we had lost generations of supporters who chose not to follow in non league for 25 years.

I do get that some people want to find excuses for Newport County under achieving frankly pretty much for 111 years. Late 30s and early 80s being honourable exceptions. It is difficult I know to face unpleasant facts and that there are some who find it easier to find excuses.
That said I am heartened that so many, like myself want us to do better and get that we need to face up to our problems.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 1:09 pm I do get that some people want to find excuses for Newport County under achieving frankly pretty much for 111 years. Late 30s and early 80s being honourable exceptions. It is difficult I know to face unpleasant facts and that there are some who find it easier to find excuses.
That said I am heartened that so many, like myself want us to do better and get that we need to face up to our problems.
What about you facing up to your problems with reallity?

Someone who describes himself as the epitome of small business, yet had everything paid for him, travelling expenses, meal expenses, even paying for the rent for your chambers.

Go on the website that Amberexile referenced on another thread, and it details how governance of the club is exemplary amongst 92 teams, although you haven't commentated on that, why?

Why won't it be?
In football terms a derby is a game between local rivals. If they were in the same league, a game between Crewe and Bristol Rovers would include a similar distance as that between Newport and Wrexham. That would not be a derby, so why should County v Wrexham. It’s not local, so it’s not a derby, it’s a Welsh club football match such as Crewe v Bristol RVs is an English club football match.

pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Why won't it be?
In football terms a derby is a game between local rivals. If they were in the same league, a game between Crewe and Bristol Rovers would include a similar distance as that between Newport and Wrexham. That would not be a derby, so why should County v Wrexham. It’s not local, so it’s not a derby, it’s a Welsh club football match such as Crewe v Bristol RVs is an English club football match.
According to the lovely Susie Dent, a Derby was simply a big match. If it was big because it was between teams from the same locality then it was a local derby. And then as is the way with language the local became redundant.

Words change meaning in useage. Mediocre means neither good nor bad. Except of course it doesn't any more.

Just out of interest, is Ipswich v Norwich a local Derby? After all they are nearly 50bmiles apart?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 24th, 2023, 2:17 pm
pembsexile wrote: March 24th, 2023, 1:32 pm

Why won't it be?
According to the lovely Susie Dent, a Derby was simply a big match. If it was big because it was between teams from the same locality then it was a local derby. And then as is the way with language the local became redundant.

Words change meaning in useage. Mediocre means neither good nor bad. Except of course it doesn't any more.

Just out of interest, is Ipswich v Norwich a local Derby? After all they are nearly 50bmiles apart?
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on March 24th, 2023, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marky wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:38 pm
daftasfxxx wrote: March 24th, 2023, 12:35 pm

Why won't it be?
It definitely wouldn't
Derby does not mean local derby.
In football terms it does, give me an example that doesn't

When Plymouth and Portsmouth play each other it's called the dockyard derby. They are nowhere near each other, but the rivalry of naval dockyards is the derby element. The County and Wrexham being the only two Welsh teams in L2 would also be deemed a derby

I think they are two decent signings. Foster is just to provide decent goalkeeper cover while Lainton recovers from injury. I liked the look of Billy Waters when he was very briefly with us and he has decent goal scoring form at most clubs he's been at.

I have no beef with Wrexham personally. They have struggled to get back out of non-league but are one of the two teams that are furlongs in front of the other runners and riders. I hope both Wrexham and Notts County succeed this season, because frankly the 23 point gap between second and third is ridiculous...