Re: So now we know

Tony Soprano wrote: March 26th, 2023, 10:54 pm
Stow Hill Sid wrote: March 26th, 2023, 7:06 pm Has anyone who reads this forum actually met Jon Pratt? Has anyone actually seen him at a game? I know I haven't.
Yes I used to play Sunday League football back in the 80s and the team was run from his dad's pub down Pill, if I remember rightly Jon played a few games for us and he was at a home game a few weeks ago, I saw him in the directors box.
Thank you!

Rather than now we know, perhaps what we might now know:

Reporting an operating loss is now looming.
Simultaneously the Trust board had the opportunity to talk to the Superfan.
Some board members wanted to tough it out and carry on regardless, others were not so keen on being responsible for reporting an operating loss - perhaps fed up of operating with the professionalism of a hotdog street vendor.
A board room split occurred, on this occasion the board split in favour of the Superfan and subsequently co-opted him onto the Board.
Two Board members resign quickly afterwards, one of whom giving such a public denial of a board room split that it can be nothing other than a board room split......

The future:
Superfan develops a swish marketing campaign to ensure that the hybrid model is 'clearly our only chance of survival'.
Superfan may even join the Trust that saved the club he purports to have supported since being a kid, whilst maintaining a 'dignified silence' (on top of the current radio silence) as to why he never joined the rest of us peasants to buy Community Shares and save the club in our most recent hour of need.
Trust membership (including Superfan) votes for change, with a promise of ' fan representation' on the board.
Fan ownership ends, possibly even with the previous club shareholders stepping forward again to join the new dawn.
Club rebranded to Newport County FC 2023 LLP/LtdCo/Inc......
Trust membership realises that 'representation' on the Board is a token gesture. They make the tea.
Trust membership realises that they've fallen for the same smoke and mirrors trick that Newport Rugby Club fell for when they voted to give Rodney Parade away and slip into obscurity.
Trust membership realises that the hybrid model has mated a stallion (the Superfan) with a donkey (the Trust) and created a mule.......

Other scenarios are available, subject to varying degrees of cynicism................

whoareya wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:43 am Rather than now we know, perhaps what we might now know:

Some board members wanted to tough it out and carry on regardless, others were not so keen on being responsible for reporting an operating loss - perhaps fed up of operating with the professionalism of a hotdog street vendor.
A board room split occurred, on this occasion the board split in favour of the Superfan and subsequently co-opted him onto the Board.
Two Board members resign quickly afterwards, one of whom giving such a public denial of a board room split that it can be nothing other than a board room split......

The future:
Superfan develops a swish marketing campaign to ensure that the hybrid model is 'clearly our only chance of survival'.
Superfan may even join the Trust that saved the club he purports to have supported since being a kid, whilst maintaining a 'dignified silence' (on top of the current radio silence) as to why he never joined the rest of us peasants to buy Community Shares and save the club in our most recent hour of need.
Trust membership (including Superfan) votes for change, with a promise of ' fan representation' on the board.
Fan ownership ends, possibly even with the previous club shareholders stepping forward again to join the new dawn.
Trust membership realises that 'representation' on the Board is a token gesture. They make the tea.
Trust membership realises that they've fallen for the same smoke and mirrors trick that Newport Rugby Club fell for when they voted to give Rodney Parade away and slip into obscurity.
Trust membership realises that the hybrid model has mated a stallion (the Superfan) with a donkey (the Trust) and created a mule.......

Other scenarios are available, subject to varying degrees of cynicism................

AFAIK NCAFC have until the very recent past, always reported an operating loss. I know the above is tongue in cheek, but out of interest which former director is giving public denials?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:04 am
whoareya wrote: March 27th, 2023, 9:43 am Rather than now we know, perhaps what we might now know:

The future:

AFAIK NCAFC have until the very recent past, always reported an operating loss. I know the above is tongue in cheek, but out of interest which former director is giving public denials?

Extract from the Kevin Ward article in the Argus 17th March
“For clarity, this is the sole reason for my resignation. There is no boardroom split, there has been no behind-the-scenes bust-up, there has been no disagreement with my fellow County directors.”

I think there is a 'proper' loss looming (ie were are skint, we are losing money, more money is going out than coming in), not an accounting loss (ie fudging of turnover/profit/debt to report a theoretical accounting loss for tax efficiency).

Tongue in cheek? definitely
Cynical? definitely
Accurate? wait and see

The future:
I'll leave out the future simply because I don't know whether Jon Pratt is the real deal or not. I am assured by people I respect that he is, but my sole interest is Newport County and as such the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Now at least three posters on this board, and a few more privately have been suggesting that our club are about to announce a loss of capital. Which if correct is going to lead to me and I suspect a number of others asking where the money has gone.

As I have often stated, I will not put my money into the club because unless I know how my money is being spent, well let's just say my dear old Mam brought me up not to be that f@cking stupid.

My hope for the future is that Jon Pratt's Mam was cut from the same cloth.

County Exile wrote: March 27th, 2023, 8:59 am jonesy3 wrote:-
Sell it? I doubt if any money will change hands. There are no assets to sell.
You sure about that? According to the latest audited accounts the net worth in the balance sheet was £838k most of which was cash in the bank. Are you saying that has all disappeared since June 2021?
Yes that was my point. We do have assets of a sort - the trading name, registration to play league football, registered players are all assets, kits, equipment etc.

But to buy these wouldn’t cost as much as to buy a club which owns its own stadium, training ground, offices, talented players worth £millions.

whoareya wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:34 am

The future:

“For clarity, this is the sole reason for my resignation. There is no boardroom split, there has been no behind-the-scenes bust-up, there has been no disagreement with my fellow County directors.”

I think there is a 'proper' loss looming (ie were are skint, we are losing money, more money is going out than coming in), not an accounting loss (ie fudging of turnover/profit/debt to report a theoretical accounting loss for tax efficiency).

Cynical? definitely
Accurate? wait and see
Nice post Dave. As it was tongue in cheek with humour and lightheartedness involved, here is my thought. A stallion and a donkey makes a hinny, not a mule. Now, there is pedantry of the highest order.

The future:

Cynical? definitely
Accurate? wait and see
You know that the Newport Centre closed this week, and Kevin Ward is now chairman of the group overseeing hundreds of millions in demolition and construction costs, along with existing assets, do you? I believe he has resigned from a number of other roles as well.
If he has stated that he hasn't had a boardroom bust up, I see no logic in suggesting that he has.

On what basis, do you believe otherwise? Surely not on the basis of a disgruntled employee telling Stan that he/she Intends to sue the club for millions?

Stan A. Einstein wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:53 am

The future:
I'll leave out the future simply because I don't know whether Jon Pratt is the real deal or not. I am assured by people I respect that he is, but my sole interest is Newport County and as such the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.

Now at least three posters on this board, and a few more privately have been suggesting that our club are about to announce a loss of capital. Which if correct is going to lead to me and I suspect a number of others asking where the money has gone.

As I have often stated, I will not put my money into the club because unless I know how my money is being spent, well let's just say my dear old Mam brought me up not to be that f@cking stupid.

My hope for the future is that Jon Pratt's Mam was cut from the same cloth.
You never have put anything into the club, time, money, support of any kind, so the willingness has never been there has it?

Bangitintrnet wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:03 am

The future:

Cynical? definitely
Accurate? wait and see
You know that the Newport Centre closed this week, and Kevin Ward is now chairman of the group overseeing hundreds of millions in demolition and construction costs, along with existing assets, do you? I believe he has resigned from a number of other roles as well.
If he has stated that he hasn't had a boardroom bust up, I see no logic in suggesting that he has.

On what basis, do you believe otherwise? Surely not on the basis of a disgruntled employee telling Stan that he/she Intends to sue the club for millions?
I can assure you that the redevelopment of the Newport Centre will not fall onto the shoulders of the new Chairman of Newport Live. In any case it has been in progress for a long long time, it just happens that the demolition phase is now commencing.
The day to day responsibility will lie with the respective contractors, architects and numerous other building consultants deployed at great cost to the Newport public.

Regarding boardroom bust up - I don't rely on any one else's opinion, just my own eyes and ears, previous examples of County board room bust ups and previous life experiences. And "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: March 27th, 2023, 10:54 am

But to buy these wouldn’t cost as much as to buy a club which owns its own stadium, training ground, offices, talented players worth £millions.
There are three views you can take about Jon Pratt.

My view is that if it is his plan to in effect take control of the club, then it would be wise to give him the benefit of our very understandable doubts whilst at the same time being circumspect.

To welcome him unconditionally as a saviour would be naive.

To automatically believe that he is the reincarnation of Jerry Sherman would be cynical.

I am neither.

whoareya wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:14 am
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:03 am

The future:

Cynical? definitely
Accurate? wait and see

I can assure you that the redevelopment of the Newport Centre will not fall onto the shoulders of the new Chairman of Newport Live. In any case it has been in progress for a long long time, it just happens that the demolition phase is now commencing.
The day to day responsibility will lie with the respective contractors, architects and numerous other building consultants deployed at great cost to the Newport public.

Regarding boardroom bust up - I don't rely on any one else's opinion, just my own eyes and ears, previous examples of County board room bust ups and previous life experiences. And "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
The responsibility of day to day issues will indead fall upon others, however they have to be instructed when problems arrise that have not been quoted or budgeted for. Labour and material costs are rising steaply, and therefore it simply won't be a sit back and let them get on with it situation. His board will have to make financial decisions, that have consequential knock on affects, on other things under their control, and he will now be leading that decision making process.

Has he protested too much then?

whoareya wrote: March 27th, 2023, 11:14 am

Quite.

As Sir Humphrey Appleby said in either Yes Minister or Yes Prime Minister......

"Never believe anything until it is officially denied."