Prices.

As I said I read the 'Allthingscounty' board'. There is an interesting discussion on that board regarding the potential for huge price-hikes in the cost of tickets. I would hope this is not the case. Economically it doesn't make sense. Newport is not a rich town. Better to have 4,000 paying £20 than 2,000 paying £30 to watch a game. Further the more people County can pack in the greater the number of advertisers can be attracted and the greater the pressure that can be put on Newport City Council to assist growing the club.

Just my view but having looked at Swansea City pricing that doesn't seem too prohibitive cost wise, as an OAP I could get a season ticket for £13-25 a game. I pay 10 Euro a game at Sligo.

I have hopes that Huw Jenkins is more financially literate than the previous regime.

Re: Prices.

Chris Davis wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:04 pm It's a balance and a fine judgement. That is to what extent will an 'x' per cent rise in prices lead to a 'y' percent reduction in punters. But that's what HJ is there to do - to make those decisions.
It definitely is why HJ is there and I fully expect him to look at research pointing to inelastic ticket pricing in this sector

Amberexile wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:18 pm
Chris Davis wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:04 pm It's a balance and a fine judgement. That is to what extent will an 'x' per cent rise in prices lead to a 'y' percent reduction in punters. But that's what HJ is there to do - to make those decisions.
It definitely is why HJ is there and I fully expect him to look at research pointing to inelastic ticket pricing in this sector
Not everyone has come across the concept of 'elasticity', of course, which is why I phrased it as I did.

G Guest wrote: April 6th, 2024, 1:56 pm Prices should go up. I don't buy this "it would be counter productive" argument.
It's simple supply and demand. And demand is regulated by cost. If my disposable income for entertainment is £50 per week and County have two home games at £20 per game I might go twice. It leaves me a tenner to have a couple of pints on a Friday night. At £25 I can see County twice. But if I watch County only once I can have a couple of pints on a Friday, catch a movie on Wednesday and have a pint Sunday lunchtime.

At £25 per ticket Newport County get £25 of my money. At £20 a ticket Newport County get £40.

What is often forgotten is that most of the posters on this board are County fanatics. Most of the people who watch Newport County are not season ticket holders, and whilst they will pay to watch Newport County they will go elsewhere if other entertainment forms offer better value for money.

Bangitintrnet wrote: April 6th, 2024, 3:59 pm Not many will go to Sligo for a season ticket
Sligo fans owned club. OAP season ticket €180. Population 24,000. Average crowd 2500. If County could attract an average 10% of the people of Newport we would have 16,000+ crowds.

It can be done. Sensible pricing and leadership that listens as opposed to to simply trying to fill their empty hours making snide and ultimately pathetic comments.

Chris Davis wrote: April 6th, 2024, 2:24 pm
Not everyone has come across the concept of 'elasticity', of course, which is why I phrased it as I did.
I was making the point that in major sport there is little elasticity in ticket pricing. So if he increases prices by x, the y reduction in punters will be lower and overall income will rise. If he follows the research it isn't that fine a judgement. He could agonise over many factors such as the cost of living problems people have in a city that isn't exactly flush but the bottom line is that if he doesn't get daft he will make more money overall by increasing prices because it will only have a minor impact on attendances.

Amberexile wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:17 pm
I was making the point that in major sport there is little elasticity in ticket pricing. So if he increases prices by x, the y reduction in punters will be lower and overall income will rise. If he follows the research it isn't that fine a judgement. He could agonise over many factors such as the cost of living problems people have in a city that isn't exactly flush but the bottom line is that if he doesn't get daft he will make more money overall by increasing prices because it will only have a minor impact on attendances.
That would be my view, as well.

Chris Davis wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:32 pm
Three points to consider. Firstly as a club do we want to price fans out? Secondly we can have a view as to the effect pricing has on attendance but we don't really know do we?

But for me a major point is looking at the long term. Back in 1967 I nagged my father, who had no interest in football to take take me as a football mad nine year old to the game v York City. I know there has been inflation since but nonetheless the 4/6 it cost my father to get in and the 2/- for me was hatdly prohibitive. That for younger readers is 37 pence in modern money for both of us to get in. The following Tuesday I nagged him again as we had drawn Blackpool in the League Cup. Two games, father and son 75p.

I've spent thousands watching County over the last fifty seven years. But had I been priced out all those years ago maybe I would have settled for being an armchait Manchester United fan.

It is not as straightforward as some seem to think.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:44 pm
Chris Davis wrote: April 6th, 2024, 5:32 pm
Three points to consider. Firstly as a club do we want to price fans out? Secondly we can have a view as to the effect pricing has on attendance but we don't really know do we?

But for me a major point is looking at the long term. Back in 1967 I nagged my father, who had no interest in football to take take me as a football mad nine year old to the game v York City. I know there has been inflation since but nonetheless the 4/6 it cost my father to get in and the 2/- for me was hatdly prohibitive. That for younger readers is 37 pence in modern money for both of us to get in. The following Tuesday I nagged him again as we had drawn Blackpool in the League Cup. Two games, father and son 75p.

I've spent thousands watching County over the last fifty seven years. But had I been priced out all those years ago maybe I would have settled for being an armchait Manchester United fan.

It is not as straightforward as some seem to think.
You haven't been for years, you're a Sligo Fan on a County Forum commenting on things that don't and will not affect you. That's a fact.

The reason why you post lies about police investigations, is because people running my club (not yours) including HJ don't want to listen to the fantasy of a Sligo fan about owning RP, and it upsets you.

Stick to Sligo, that actually affects you personally.

Bangitintrnet wrote: April 6th, 2024, 7:01 pm

You haven't been for years, you're a Sligo Fan on a County Forum commenting on things that don't and will not affect you. That's a fact.

The reason why you post lies about police investigations, is because people running my club (not yours) including HJ don't want to listen to the fantasy of a Sligo fan about owning RP, and it upsets you.

Stick to Sligo, that actually affects you personally.
There's an interesting conversation with people airing different views. Then you join in. Still I suppose you need something to fill up your empty days.