Re: Grandstand: Newport County A.F.C versus Tranmere Rovers F.C.

Towards the middle of the second half, I started to think about the meaning of life. Having thought about it, I thought about a connected subject. To what extent was I seeing the future of the County on the pitch? A bit patchy I thought. I'd definitely keep Nick, Will and Bogle, who I thought had his best game for a long time. I'd keep the youngsters more in hope than anything else. The rest would either go away or be sent away.

Improvement on the other loses.The goal itself was a great passing sequence and we were up for it.The usual lack of defending then cost us.At least we created chances,a lovely pass by Seb saw Jephcott miss badly to get us back level.Some good chances in the second,Kiban shot blocked but we always looked vulnerable on the counter.We finished the game with 4 young players out there.I liked Sanca ,very unlucky to get a yellow,Rai ran at them and looked good,why hasn’t he had a game lately.

I see Coughlan is saying post match that we have run out of energy. I have to ask why that would be. We have only 4 players who have played more than 40 games this season. One is Townsend in goal, another is Bennett who was out injured today, the other 2 Evans and Morris were arguably among our better performers today. Should a professional football be out of energy after less than 40 matches in 8 months?

Chris Davis wrote: April 13th, 2024, 7:30 pm Towards the middle of the second half, I started to think about the meaning of life. Having thought about it, I thought about a connected subject. To what extent was I seeing the future of the County on the pitch? A bit patchy I thought. I'd definitely keep Nick, Will and Bogle, who I thought had his best game for a long time. I'd keep the youngsters more in hope than anything else. The rest would either go away or be sent away.
Can perfectly understand that reaction after another frustrating watch, when ultimately we were beaten because of one players (Apter) superior pace and finishing prowess. We had enough opportunities to have least have got a draw.
As for the majority of the squad going away or being sent away; the owner/manager has an obligation to the fans to try and improve the squad, and that can only be done by replacing players with others they believe they can persuade to sign for us (as opposed to another club) on a similar salary to those they are replacing. Think that is extremely unlikely. If they aren't confident of doing so they will need to offer new deals to most of the 10 who are out of contract this summer. Maybe age/injury record will exclude 3 or 4 from being offerred new deals?
Possibly a small increase in player budget will be used to increase the size of squad by 2 or 3, and hopefully next years 5 loanees will have a more positive impact than this years 5?
Last edited by OLDCROMWELLIAN on April 13th, 2024, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.